Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I am new here and I just discovered this site. So far it has been very helpful as I have searched through many topics. We've had our dog Lucy now for 1 1/2 years and she is doing great.

She does have one problem and we are not sure how to help her. Over the past few months she licks her paws. When I inspect her paws they look a little pink (almost raw). Just the other day I noticed that they are starting to scab. I dont know if it's from her licking them or that she is licking them because they are scabing.

My main questions is, why is she licking her paws? Can it be allergies or something like athletes foot? I feel really bad for her because I know it bugs her. She mostly does it at night when she is relaxing in our bed.

Thanks,

Lucy's parents

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would take her to the vets to be checked out- My Jake does the same sometimes. He had very bad allergies and ended up on a prescription medication. Now when he gnaws I just start the medicine and he does fine- His got so bad he had whelps on his sweet little face :(

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Between the toes is a common location for a yeast infection, which is also often the source of the "frito odor"" common to hounds.

Yeast general but not always is secondary infection therefore it can not truly be cured until the primary cause is found such as allergeries and/or seborrhea.

Topica treatment are unlikely to help unless the dog is prevented from licking the medication off. Also it is imporant to nip the [problem in the bud early because it can easiliy lead to Acral Lick Dermititis

You need to consult with your vet for a possible skin scraping of the effect area to find the cause and the treatment. As stated above dermalogical conditions are often secondary to an more primary underlying cause and can be difficult to diagnose properly. Consulting with a vet that specialize in dermatology is a good option.

links

Acral Lick Dermatitis (ALD)

Acral Lick Dermatitis/Granuloma

Seborrhea

Hot Spots: Acute Moist Dermatitis

Grass Seeds and Awns

Foot Problems - Interdigital Cysts and Growths and Pyoderma

MALESSEZIA DERMATITIS (Yeast Infection of the Skin)

Malassezia Infections
"Dogs with infections on their toes may lick their feet constantly. Hair loss, redness, hyperpigmentation (blackening of the skin), and thickening of the skin may also be present"

AVCD - Find a dermatologist Word. Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts