Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After having Libby for almost four weeks now, I have noticed that she gets scared by anything and nothing. Ever since I got her, she is always looking for a place to hide, and barks excessively. Is this normal for a Basset puppy? I don't recall my Golden Retriever being so scared all the time at that age, and I got him at eight weeks old too.
Libby's always hiding behind me and trembles, under my Golden (who gets annoyed by it), my husband, just about anyone. I took her to the vet and there's nothing wrong. She turns 12 weeks today. I hope that this behavior isn't a sign of aggression. If I try to move her she will bark or release an exaggerated cry just for moving her. She is playful at times, but then comes this behavior out of no where, it makes you wonder if you did something wrong. I don't know what to do and if this is normal behavior.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Maybe she's just having trouble adjusting to being away from her mother and siblings. She is just a baby, after all. My inclination would be to be very gentle and soft-spoken and loving and try to make her feel secure and loved and she'll probably get over it after awhile.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Non of my bassets were like that,
but - believe it or not - my rotweiler was like that.
I had to drag her out for a walk, and she became
scared of everthing, a car with yellow flash lights,
water dripping into a manhole, flaglines slamming
into the pole etc etc.
She was scared for fireworks, electric tools and even
people carrying babies on the shoulder; troll with two
heads.... :blink:
She became better as grown up, but still headed for
home when seing something she didn't cared for,
but the withdrawal was with style, I'll give her that. :p
It's not a good behavior for a watch dog, but I guess
doesn't mean anything for a basset, I don't think she
will become agressive, but it's mostly a scared dog who
bites.

I guess she'll be better when she's grown up, but will
probably be a careful soul all her life. They are different
like we are...

Maybe you should contact a behaviourist?

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
775 Posts
I would consider puppy class when she is old enough and has had all her shots. Maybe socializing her in class would do her good. It already has helped Stickers who has attended only 2 classes. She is also afraid of bigger dogs mostly. The class is really helping. Fear barking and or biting is not a good thing!!! That might happen if nothing is done to change her attitude. Just my opinion. I'm sure you'll get alot of good advice here. Good Luck!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Think the puppy class is a good idea. I would totally ignore her when she does this and walk away from her, as giving her any attention may encourage it. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think she
will become agressive, but it's mostly a scared dog who
bites.

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

[/b]
That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

Thank you all. I'm taking her for her last shots this upcoming week. I will try to place her in a puppy class just so that she can become more social. I just want her to be a great dog when she gets older.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts