Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm such an impatient person I can't wait. I have to go into work for the morning then I'm meeting the breeder at the vet’s office to pick Maxwell up at 11:30. I just can't wait to bring him home. We have really fallen for Sadie and enjoy her so much; I just can't imagine what it will be like to have two Bassets around. I'm sure it will be a little Chaotic until we get into a routine with the new puppy. Sadie is 7 months and Maxwell is 8 weeks old, any advice about how to introduce Maxwell to Sadie.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by bjsibba
Sadie is 7 months and Maxwell is 8 weeks old, any advice
If Sadie is not yet spayed, I'd suggest making that your highest priority. Accidental breedings are always a danger when there are unaltered dogs and bitches sharing the same living quarters.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not a problem, Sadie has been spayed since June and Maxwell will get neutered as soon as he's old enough.

The breeder told me he would put an old sock in the pen for the puppies to play with and send the sock with us. He said it would have the sent of the littermates on it and help comfort him. He suggested I rub the sock on Sadie so she will have the sent on her.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'd bring Sadie with you when you go to pick up Maxwell. They say it's best if they meet on neutral territory. I've always just brought the pups home and maybe there wouldn't have been that "adjustment period" if I'd done the introduction else where.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats on getting Max!!! I can't wait for pictures!!! If my house was big enough, I would get Jackie a sibling. I hope everything goes really well tomorrow!!! :lol:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to bring Sadie with me but unfortunately Sadie doesn't travel well. She drools excessively the minute she gets in the car and then almost always pukes before we get to where were going. I just don't think that would be a good introduction with Sadie nervous & sick from the car ride. So will have to do the introduction at home. Sadie has had visiting dogs run and play with her in the back yard and she does fine with that. So I plan to do the introduction in the back yard and let them play for a while there first then bring them in the house. Thanks for all the replies, I will be on tomorrow with pictures and let you know how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts