Basset Hounds Forum banner

Leg ‘slips’ in relation to paw

5K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  mhvonalmen8908 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone heard of this? Bogie is somewhere between ten and thirteen years old. Recently he has started to stumble when on every one of his three daily walks. There is no limp and he doesnt stumble continually but its becoming more frequent. I wouldnt notice it except I can hear his claws touch the pavement as he catches himself. Maybe a skip a step about every hundred yards or so. I thought it was 'normal' aging. However today I began watching his front paws and with each step they seem to ‘slip’ in relation to his leg. In other words his leg moves before his front paws do, about a eighth to a quarter of an inch. I am beside myself with worry thinking that he has loose ligaments like a unstable knee in a human, or worse. I know he is living on borrowed time due to his age. However when I got him home I inspected his (front paw) joints and they are not hot or tender. He would walk miles if I would allow it. I noticed his toenail, er, claws were way too long, but I do not believe that could cause anything like what I am witnessing.

I usually keep him groomed better but domestic issues conspire against us (mom is in the hospital, kidney cancer). Not to complain, the worst part is that I own a non profit which is running in the red, and my part time job to make ends meet is history. I mention that just because I am embarrassed for his long claws. I am afraid if he needs knee or joint surgery it would be some time before I could make arrangements to have it done. Anyway, does anyone know what this could be, I will have to take him to the vet tonight (my vet has weird hours mornings and evenings). Thanks in advance.

Rev

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Overly long toe nails could cause gate issue on a hard surface a soft surface link grass and dirt it is less likely.

I began watching his front paws and with each step they seem to ‘slip’ in relation to his leg. In other words his leg moves before his front paws do
I an not sure what you are trying to put into words but for every dog the foot would be the last thing tha moves so I am not sure what you are descirbing is abnormal to begin with. For basset that stumble on the front end in most incidents it appear to me to occur at the shoulder not at the feet. that is the toe clicking etc are the result of the stumble not the cause but of curse the only way to know for sure is taking the dog to the vet.

I also think basset have a tendency to stumble at a walking gate more so than any other gate ie (trot, cantor or gallop). Toughy had a tendency to stumble when walking but when running agility did not have a problem.

#4 · (Edited)
Overly long toe nails could cause gate issue on a hard surface a soft surface link grass and dirt it is less likely.

I an not sure what you are trying to put into words but for every dog the foot would be the last thing tha moves so I am not sure what you are descirbing is abnormal to begin with. For basset that stumble on the front end in most incidents it appear to me to occur at the shoulder not at the feet. that is the toe clicking etc are the result of the stumble not the cause but of curse the only way to know for sure is taking the dog to the vet.

I also think basset have a tendency to stumble at a walking gate more so than any other gate ie (trot, cantor or gallop). Toughy had a tendency to stumble when walking but when running agility did not have a problem.
Thanks so much! Yes it's very difficult to describe. At first I thought I was seeing things. His feet have always been tender, and it's a fight to cut his toenails, even a vet and the professional groomers have a difficult time with him, so I suspected his feet and related
architecture. However I could not think of any anatomical defect that could cause it. I mean according to my lay persons eye, there is no structural way that it could happen. So perhaps you are correct, it may be the shoulder area and simply looks like the foot. Strange stuff!

But the best way to describe it is that the paw contacts the surface then the 'shin' part of the leg moves back about 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch while the paw is still in contact with the surface and has not lifted from the stride. Bogie never had balance problems when a pup or a young dog however age has reduced his confidence somewhat. Thanks for your reply I am beginning to think its not really serious, but he is going to the vet in about two hours. Thanks again!

rs

#3 ·
Doppler stumbles sometimes when he walks too but we up it to a quicker pace and he does better. Like Mikey said. But if you're super worried about it, then there's nothing wrong with just checking with the vet. Good luck! Hope it's nothing too serious.

#5 ·
Thanks so much. I am kind of spooked I suppose. When a person or a pet ages we get overprotective I suppose. As for walking faster, I am kind of afraid to walk him too fast (ie a fast pace) until I find out what is bothering him. He is very healthy for his age, for example, I am on crutches for at least another year (MC accident) and so I usually walk him with the riding mower (I built a 'cow catcher' out of half inch pvc pipe wrapped with foam insulation to keep him away from the wheels etc) and he will range out in front for a mile without being winded (or miles more if I would allow it).

I know it seems excessive, but if he does not get three long walks he pouts and will not eat etc , yes I am a basset slave!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing.

rs

#6 ·
Maybe his pads are extremly thick.I know what you are seeing ,my Esa does it with her right paw,it is not noticible when she gates in the show ring but I notice it when she is walking in the house.It looks like a break down of the pasturn but it doesn't stay down as soon as the foot comes off the ground and retouches it looks normal until the foot makes that little extra motion of sliding back.I don't explain this well either. It doesn't bother Esa but it does look weird.

#7 ·
Maybe his pads are extremly thick.I know what you are seeing ,my Esa does it with her right paw,it is not noticible when she gates in the show ring but I notice it when she is walking in the house.It looks like a break down of the pasturn but it doesn't stay down as soon as the foot comes off the ground and retouches it looks normal until the foot makes that little extra motion of sliding back.I don't explain this well either. It doesn't bother Esa but it does look weird.
Yes I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I just got back from his last walk of the day and again I watched his foot. He kind of rolled his foot, if he were a human it would look like an exaggerated heel toe step where the person rolls the heel to the toe. Before I read your post I had looked at his pads to see if they were swollen. I really REALLY hope that is what it is!

Again thanks to everyone that took the time to reply!

rs AKA Greg

#8 ·
Rev Slobber (first off your member name makes me giggle hehe),

My new rescue gal who is 6 stumbles as well.......I will have to watch it more closely. She seems to do it more going downhill, but it doesn't seem to bother her. Hope your vet found nothing serious. I do think a good nail trim helps with their gait immensely however. My boy who had back issues always seemed to walk much easier when he got his trimmed and yes, he wasn't too fond of it either thus he got quite the sets of macaroni toes at times.

You should have someone take a video of you walking Bogie via tractor and share with us, that has to be cute to watch (btw, I'm not making fun of you, hope YOUR gait gets better soon as well).

#9 · (Edited)
Hee hee thanks (the sc name). I try not to take myself too seriously which comes natural as I get older. I am serious about loving a pet and the people that love the breed that has enslaved all of us, ha ha. About the only thing I do get serious about is religion, I construct my entire paradigm around God, yes I am a real minister! That is material for another type forum eh?

Hey, good idea about the vid. I have a couple of real short bad quality vids using my diggie cam (Sony cyber shot) recorded from the seat of the tractor, I will look for them.

I called the vet and after explaining the problem he said no need to bring him in, that he noticed on prior visits that bogie had thick pads and a strange gate that was probably caused from a too small cage from the puppy mill and or congenital defects . So he said not to worry especially if there is no tenderness etc. but to get his nails trimmed post haste if not sooner. So Mr Bugi’ is headed to the groomer instead of the vet. Thanks for your comment Basset Moms.

rs

ps I am a Vet so if the VA gives me my last operation I should be walking sans the crutches, however since it was a MC accident and not combat related I have been waiting almost a year. Shades of socialized medicine to come; ie rationed care, good but dated care that is slow in coming. At least its free, and I am grateful to have it.

#10 ·
Glad the vet was able to reassure you that there's nothing wrong that a simple nail trim won't take care of. And I would like to thank you for serving our country. My husband is currently deployed so I'm just counting down the days until he gets home. He's in a safer place than most of our boys get sent to so I'm not too terribly worried. But I just wanted to say thank you. I hope your next surgery is soon and it's everything you and the doctors hope. Good luck!

#15 ·
God bless your husband and you for supporting him. Its a hard row to hoe as a hillbilly saying goes! My service (101st Army) was way back yonder, ha ha. I was Nam era, no combat, was double blessed by getting to remain 'in country', thank God, although at the time I wanted to go and do my part and go for the adventure, yeah, that is how dumb and naive I was. When I found out what war was really like I was embarrassed I though like that!

And yes, thank you all for unscaring me, and for the other kind words! There are a lot of warm hearts in this place~

rev

#11 ·
and it's a fight to cut his toenails, even a vet and the professional groomers have a difficult time with him, so I suspected his feet and related
architecture.
it is a coomon problem with basset Dare I say the majority of baset are touch sensitive around the feet it has nothing to to with their conformation or conformational abnormality nor is it related to pain.

#12 ·
Doppler is an absolute baby when it comes to cutting his toenails. In fact we can't take him back to Petco anymore because they said last time they had to muzzle him and it would cost about $30 next time. So we're just going to have to do it at home. Virga on the other hand could care less. She'll just lay there and let you do what you have to do. We put the one we aren't working on outside so they stay out of our way and so Virga won't pick up on Doppler's nervousness. That's all we need is two neurotic dogs.

#13 ·
last time they had to muzzle him and it would cost about $30 next time.
Babies ! This is how we handle mariah a know biter and touch sensitive.

1. soft muzzle
2. Second person with a boat load of cut up hotdogs no bigger than you pinky nail

3. one person tims nails while other continiously feed the dog. When person feeding the dog need to reload they warn person on the clippers.

Mariah is nearly 10 so after nine years of this she actual is excited to see the clippers. I still would not trust her without the muzzle or the hot dogs but clipping now takes substantial less thine then when we first began. Often only doing a single paw befor quiting.

#18 ·
Ha ha bribery! I guess I am lucky. Bogie has never ever offered to bite, even when extracting infected anals. He just groans and makes sounds that break my heart. I wish dogs could understand English so they would know I wasn’t hurting them intentionally!

#14 ·
Mikey-we're going to end up doing this with Doppler I have a feeling. I'm also going to try and trim them after a good long walk or after he's been rough housing and is tuckered. I also would like to eventually get him used to the Pedipaws.

#19 ·
Ha ha bribery!
not bribery just a really big distraction and like pavalov dog drooling when ringing a bell, the toe nail clipper are now assoiciate with a lot of hot dogs hence when she sees the clippers she anticipates a boat load of hotdogs and acts acccordingly classical conditioning nothing more nothing less, and one of the greatest tool in a behaviorist tool box to change a dogs emotional response to something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.