Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the wifey and I are taking a trip to Europe to visit family, but this will be the first time I've been apart from Woofus since we adopted him. I'm very nervous because he had 9 foster homes before we got him. But we are lucky that the lady at the rescue boards her adopted dogs. My question is do you think Woofus will think he's going back? I really hope not, and hope this is just a human way of thinking. I'm hoping he just thinks he's going to summer camp :D

·
Registered
562 Posts
We're worried about the same thing, and that's just to go visit the rescue center Layla came from to see if we want to adopt a third hound. I always worry that she secretly is afraid we will give her up too. Maybe give Woofus some shirts of yours or some of his toys so he has some familiar stuff with him.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Leaving them toys they are familiar with is a good idea! The longest I've had to leave Doppler was for about a week with friends. I dropped him off the night before I had to go to the airport and I absolutely broke down and sobbed as I was pulling out of the driveway. But he was fine and had a blast so I got over it. And the feeling when they see you again after a long absence is absolutely priceless! That was about the best feeling I've experienced thus far in my life. Have fun on your trip! And at least you know he won't be locked in a kennel for most of the day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You might consider boarding him somewhere else, just for the sake of not upsetting him?

Might I suggest PetSmart PetsHotel? I have mentioned their day camp before (I swear I don't work there, nor do I advertise for them - lol) and I'm a HUGE fan! I will be taking my Maddie there this weekend (for the whole weekend, I'm going out of town as well) and I have no doubt that she'll be taken care of AND she'll have a blast the whole time.

During the day, they let the dogs play like they would in day camp and at night they get their own little room. You can opt for a suite which includes a TV and feels more like "home." It's probably a tad pricier than other boarding services but it might be worth a shot! Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion Rachel, but I forgot to mention he's an adopted basset with some issues. He was abused, so I don't trust most people with him. That's why he's going back to her (she had him for 2 years). I guess I'm just a worried parent :) Nothing to see here, hahahahahaha.
I will leave Woofus with a toy and I'm going to sleep with it the night before so it smells like me. Hopefully that'll help.

·
Registered
973 Posts
We're worried about the same thing, and that's just to go visit the rescue center Layla came from to see if we want to adopt a third hound. I always worry that she secretly is afraid we will give her up too. Maybe give Woofus some shirts of yours or some of his toys so he has some familiar stuff with him.
We had to take Anabelle back to the shelter we adopted her from overnight to complete her heartworm treatment. She looked so sad that we were leaving her there I almost cried. But at the same time she was overjoyed to see us the next day. I don't know that dogs can remember specific events happening like being brought to a shelter, but I imagine they can attach emotions to locations. So she might not have thought "oh no they're leaving me here back at the shelter..." but I bet she did know that she was in a place that was less than ideal compared to the home situation she had become accustomed to and combine that with seeing your best friends walk away, leads to a sad pup.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Vinny is always happy to visit the kennel I use he loves it there.Nothing special just a run and blanket but he loves being by the other dogs.Never had a problem but some dogs do require care so you are probably doing the right thing at least he knows the person.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts