Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got our basset puppy on Saturday. He is settling in amazingly well. Sleeps well at night except when needs to go potty, but then settles back again quickly. We to say the least are totally smitten!!

The only problem is today I have to go to work lol. I have family members coming it to check on him but Mommy is having some major separation anxiety. Think anyone would believe me if I called in sick today?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I know how you're feeling. I canceled my office hours the 1st day back at work after we got Winston. I only went in to teach my classes. No one noticed (undergrads never notice stuff like that).

It will be harder on you than on the puppy. It will make your day quite long. But at least someone is checking in on him. Give him an old shirt that you've worn so that he has your smell. That helped with Molly when we got her and had to leave her.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have spent a lot of time up in your area. My husband is from New Brunswick. Anyway, I would not worry about it too much as long as you are keeping him in a space where he can't get into anything harmful. You can leave him safe toys and leave a TV on near him for some stimulation. If people are stopping by to check on him he should be fine. It's something just about every dog has to learn to get used to.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It will be very upsetting having to leave a new puppy and it's a good job you have people coming in to visit your pup because otherwise it will be difficult to get into regular toilet-training habits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did behave myself and put into play all the separation anxiety training we had to use with our greyhound. He had never been alone in his life. Always in a kennel with other dogs and people around all the time. He was 4 when we got him. He is fine now.

I was also much better when I got to work. Husband was home before me and said he was fine when he got home. I will be much better today now. lol

·
Registered
761 Posts
Glad he was fine! It is harder on us than it is on them I think. I don't work right now so I'm home with them all the time. But the first time I had to leave
Doppler at some friends' house while my husband and I were gone for a week or so I was an absolute mess. I was sobbing as I pulled out of their driveway and went back home. But he was fine and the way they act when they see you again makes it all worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts