Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok for me to leave my 11 month old Basset alone for 5 to 6 hours few times a month? Also, I really dont want to put her in a crate while I am away. Is it ok if I leave her free inside the house when I am not there?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sure it's OK to leave her to roam the house as long as you don't care about the mess and damage from doing so. I don't crate mine but they are confined to one room with a doggie door while we are gone. Even then you need to make sure they can't get at the things they shouldn't. We now build a barrier around the California king bed after coming home to find three sets of sheets destroyed. Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

:D Yeah we thought about that a lot... but considering the height of our bed I dont think sheets are gonna be an issue. What we are scared about if its starts chewing the extension cords or sort of succeeds in sliding through our wardrobe... Then it would be textile massacre :p

Thank you so much for your advice. My main concern was if she would get lonely. Wouldnt want that in a million years!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi Frida,

I just turned 11 months too. My people leave me for 5-6 hours at a time on Mon, Wed, Thurs, and on weekends, and I am fine in my crate. i never soiled my crate before. I don't mind it, i just sleep.

My person says she thinks there'd a been a lot more destruction if I was left inside the house for that long. 11 months is better because we don't teethe as much. but i still do like to chew things at my age.

hmmm... I think i'll refer you to another thread, and you can see all the things a basset (or any dog) can chew up. I think you can do it if you can puppyproof well, prob best to confine to 1 or 2 rooms, and if you don't mind it if for some reason your basset chewed stuff up whatever's in the room. My person's last dog was kept in kitchen w/doggy door to outside, and chewed the wood around the cabinets, for example.

ok, findin' the thread for ya... http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/13628-ohhh-gerald-5.html

--Worm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Frida,

I just turned 11 months too. My people leave me for 5-6 hours at a time on Mon, Wed, Thurs, and on weekends, and I am fine in my crate. i never soiled my crate before. I don't mind it, i just sleep.

My person says she thinks there'd a been a lot more destruction if I was left inside the house for that long. 11 months is better because we don't teethe as much. but i still do like to chew things at my age.

hmmm... I think i'll refer you to another thread, and you can see all the things a basset (or any dog) can chew up. I think you can do it if you can puppyproof well, prob best to confine to 1 or 2 rooms, and if you don't mind it if for some reason your basset chewed stuff up whatever's in the room. My person's last dog was kept in kitchen w/doggy door to outside, and chewed the wood around the cabinets, for example.

ok, findin' the thread for ya... http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/13628-ohhh-gerald-5.html

--Worm
Oooh thank you, thank you so much!! :D

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice. My main concern was if she would get lonely
Seperation anxiety is an issue with the breed, it is one reasoan you find many of have multiple dogs, for most but not all this is enough to prevent the problem., See the orginal post you made I have a link on speration anxiety on there and steps to take to prevent a problem.

As far as to whether the dog shouls have free roam of the house crate confined or room confined is dependant on the dog. IMHO it is best to asssume the worst and provide the most stringent confinement until the dog has earned more freedom.

Also there seem to be the assumption by most that a dog is more likely to be more destructive the longer you are gone but this is not true. with seperation anxiety and most destructive behaviors they occur early in the process so if you can leave for an hour without a problem tow thre or six is not likely to be a problem

Practicing mini seperation before you go etc will give you a good idea how trust worth the dog is when left alone

·
Registered
973 Posts
The nice thing about dogs vs children is you can leave them alone for long lengths of time :p

Ours are not puppies (far from it), but there are some days where they are left alone from 8 am to 8 pm. M-F they are alone from 9 am to 5 pm. They are also left in a room with a dog door to the outside and with a big bowl of water.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mine are rarely left alone because I don't work right now. So they're out most of the time except at night when they sleep in their crates. But they would be fine in their crates for the duration of a work day. My husband and I have recently discovered that they can be left out loose while we're gone as long as we aren't gone long and we put shoes, papers, remotes, etc up where they can't reach them. I just crate them for my own peace of mind. I think they just sleep while they're in their crates anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We leave Watson in his kennel for 5-6 hours several times a week. He is 18 months now, but he was fine at 11 months when we got him, too. He doesn't seem to have any problems with it. He just sleeps, as far as I know. He has a nylabone and a chew in there with him and most times we have to drag him out when we get home. Watson doesn't have any problems with separation anxiety or anything, so that might help.

This weekend, though, we decided to give Watty free reign of the house for the first time while we ran errands. We always have a baby gate up to prevent him from going upstairs, but we also made sure to close the pantry, close the laundry room door, and put anything up that he may have gotten into. We were gone for about 7 hours, and we were certain that we were going to come home to a mess... but he did great! He was excited when we got home and definitely needed to go potty, but other than that, he was great. He didn't even get on the furniture! They grow up so fast...

So I say, go for it. Of course, you know your dog better than anyone... but I don't see anything wrong with leaving her alone for that long. Just be smart about it... pick up or close the doors to anything that she could get into. You could also consider blockading her in one room. Still giving her room to roam, but limiting access to the whole house.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Most times it is the way the people feel about using a crate,usually the dog could care less.Let me throw another twist into this,I worked for a Vet a long time ago and an older couple who had just lost their beagle got a puppy.He was much younger than 11 months but things can happen at any age,anyway,they came home to find he had strangled in her pocketbook straps that were hanging from a chair. They did get a new puppy and a crate for this one. Why leave things to chance when you don't have to.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I leave my 6 month old alone 4-5 hours at a time. He has lots to look at outside the window, and seems to like the cartoon network. He's at the doggie hotel for the next several days, and it sure was hard to leave him.

·
Registered
58 Posts
bubbad -- I couldn't agree with you more, I just didn't want to say it. I think the 'crate' issue lies in the mind of the human, not the dog. It's a dog. It's our job as their humans to keep them safe, happy and healthy. If she can't be under your direct supervision, you need to have a plan to keep them safe, happy and healthy. Crating is, in my opinion, the best way to achieve this.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm glad you didn't take anything as an insult because I certainly didn't mean anything by it. I always crate my dogs or they are baby gated in a room they cannot hurt themselves or anything else. Bassets have a part that gets them in trouble all the time and you can't remove it ,the nose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Both of us work 8-9 hours a day and leave Randolph and Mortimer alone.

When Mortimer was fully housetrained I would shut the bedroom/bathroom doors and let him have free roam of the house. I'd come home on my lunch break to let him out, and the good ol boy never made a mess or tore up anything.

We later got Randolph and I tried doing the same thing with him, well after coming home to a pile of chewed-up blu-rays and xbox games, that was the end of that.

We now have a doggy door in the sliding glass door in the kitched. Got a baby gate that keeps them confined to the kitchen and outside. As long as I clear the countertops and pickup the garbage can everything is ok.

As for seperation anxiety, just get another basset and you'll never have to worry about that again. You'll be too busy dealing with the other problems that comes with having two sea lions flopping all over the place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts