Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up last night. My best guess would be that she ate grass from a lawnmower with oil in it on last night's walk. This grass was in the street btw but it was so dark I couldn't see it and she's FAST! I think she was sick at least 7 times last night and she vomitted the longest, thickest pack of fresh grass I've ever seen. Whenever her stomach is upset she eats grass (to try and sooth it I guess) and is sick. This morning was no better but strangeley enough she was sick 4 hours after I fed her. I called the vet and was told to not give her any food for the next 12 hours and then only sparcely. Anyone else have cows instead of dogs? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray had a blockage once- he swallowed something that stuck in his small intestine. He vomited, ate grass,vomited more, and when he was vomiting only foam after a few hours, I took him in for an x-ray, which showed gas build up in the intestine symptomatic of a blockage.The object itself was not visible on the x-ray. He was lucky and passed whatever it was(something hard and brown- who knows?) within 2 hours of the x-ray- otherwise it would have required surgery. Are you sure the oil in the grass is causing this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea what is causing this. I know Lea has a fragile tummy but as soon as all the food was out of her this morning 2 shots because she ate her food twice over *eye roll* she was fine. I gave her just a handful of food at suppertime because both dogs eat at the same time and I gave her half a pepto bismal caplet (yes I buy them just for her) and she seems fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow morning... the real test.

A

·
0 Posts
I have no idea if the same concept applies for dogs as it does horses, but my dad won't let anyone give his miniature horses grass over the fence b/c he is afraid people will feed them grass clippings. After just a few hours the grass clippings begin to break down (ferment) and can cause the horses severe stomach upset. Perhaps the same thing applies with dogs? (Fresh grass doesn't cause that problem with horses, but it is much easier to post a sign stating, "NO GRASS" than posting the long explanation above!) :D :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I owned a horse for 14 years and you are right... fresh grass clippings cause colic in horses and can be fatal or very very expensive surgery-wise. I don't think it applies to dogs however... Vet told me to keep her away from grass, ANY grass but she's so darn fast and sneaky!

I must also say that she's better today :) I took her off food for 12 hours as recommended by vet and popped her a pepto bismal tablet. Seems to have done the trick!

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions :)

Lou

1 - 6 of 6 Posts