Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning at 9. Ok I must admit I'm a bit of a sleepwalker. But anyways I go into the kitchen and *gasp* screen door is open! Now I know that Kit opens the screen door when he's outside but... Where's Lea??

I look and her rope is neatly waiting for her so she hasn't ripped it out of the ground and taken off with it hmmmmm...

I run outside and go to all the neighbours backyards with Kit calling her but no answer. By this time I'm really freaking out because I figure she's been gone for at least an hour and I haven't a clue where to look.

Get in the car and drive to all the obvious places.... no luck.

Come home and start looking at her food bowl thinking am I ever going to see her again?

Suddenly I hear a neighbour call HEY LADY I SEE A DOG!! HE'S THERE! and a familiar AROOOOO!! I run outside to find a completely red dog???
Red??? Where's the white? My best guess is she followed or played in some stream with iron in it. She immediately went into the bath and I haven't let her out of my site since.

I don't ever want to be scared like that again.
I am curious though has anyone ever lost a basset for good because it ran away and never came home?

Lou

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it reminded me of that old commercial "Gonna wash that grey right out of my hair" you could see a river of red muck in the bathtub.

Lou

·
Registered
27 Posts
you know I have heard of bassets running away because they follow there nose. You lucky it came out cause i had a mini pintcher and she got in to some red clay and it staned her coat. It looked like some one put cherry kolaid. on her

·
Registered
987 Posts
My basset has never gotten out (knock on wood) but before we got her my golden and my GSD did one day after a utility worker left our gate open. My hubby found them two blocks away and headed for the park. They jumped right in the car and were taken back home. We learned a hard lesson and padlocked the gate.
For that reason and the reputation that hounds have for following their nose we have a very secure fence and we had Lily microchipped when we got her.
I'm glad you baby is back home safe and sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts