Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
LoL good job! ... And extra protein while you're at it! :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That's funny. :)
I dreaded the cicadas return to Cincinnati several years ago, because Spencer was afraid of flies (I know, go figure) and I thought he'd have the same reaction to cicadas since they flew around buzzing, but it turned out the opposite. The cicadas kept both him & Sadie entertained, and fed! :lol:

Sadie picking cicadas off the fence:

Spencer about to chomp one down:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Uurp, I think I may lose my breakfast.........j/k. Is it time again for those damn things? Yuck, I think Annie will be getting some extra protein as well, she likes to chase bees which makes me cringe. I'm sure she will chomp down the cicadas. I wonder if their is cicada toxicity?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
vb3, I also like the "little pieces of flying candy." That's basically what it was like for the dogs. I was concerned because of the sheer number Sadie & Spencer were eating - that's all they did when they went outside. When I asked the vet, he said the same thing the article said - not harmful, but too many can cause tummy upset. Thankfully, that never happened to my 2 & they enjoyed a couple of weeks of feasting :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
That is gross. Virga will probably eat some if they come to our area. Don't know about Doppler.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew a guy who ate them himself once. They're just protein packets. I guess once you get around the weirdness of eating a bug they taste alright. Lots of other cultures do it. I think I'll stick to people food.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm with you vb3. If the dogs want to eat them, fine. But I'm going to stick to human food. I also don't want to see the dogs eating them. That whole 'ignorance is bliss' theory.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Ewww, I was eating a waffle while watching the video.

Note to self: If says "insect" and "delicious" in the same sentence, do NOT eat while watching.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Luckily we haven't seen any this year because i know Bernie would be all over that! ugh!!

He tries to sneak pine cones, sticks, and anything else he can find, into the house. We never know what we are going to come across. The other night i found a piece of tree bark in the floor and picked it up to throw it away only to realize it was a chewed up beetle!!! ewwwwww!!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I once went away for the weekend, leaving basset behind, and while I was gone, he must have made a million trips in and out of the dog door bringing leaves and twigs in. He made an enormous nest in the middle of my bed with them all. He was quite proud of his work when I got home. Sometimes you just can't get mad because you're laughing too hard.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I once went away for the weekend, leaving basset behind, and while I was gone, he must have made a million trips in and out of the dog door bringing leaves and twigs in. He made an enormous nest in the middle of my bed with them all. He was quite proud of his work when I got home. Sometimes you just can't get mad because you're laughing too hard.
Silly kids!!

Our area was hit really hard by tornadoes on april 27 (126 recorded tornadoes in a 24 hour period across our state) and we were without power for several days. We were at work during the day so most of the time spent at home was at night with very little light. Once the power came on we discovered just how far Bernie's obsession with pine cones went. We have no idea how many he actually snuck in but there were bits and pieces of chewed up pine cone everywhere! All over the couch and in the carpet. We are still finding them! Kids! Geez!! :rolleyes: lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
HAHA.....that's too funny, you gotta wonder sometimes what they are thinking

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rosco's nest would probably be made out of discarded Kleenex. Layla's would be made out of blankets and such. Breezy would make hers out of my underwear.

As for ignorance being bliss, at least if you know they are eating them you can avoid a cicada-flavored kiss!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ha ha Annie, yes, maybe we are lucky to not have so many creatures here in these parts. had a friend from Arizona and told us all the huge insects and scorpions (!) they would find INSIDE their house... such a foreign concept can't even picture it. i suppose we get ants and spiders here, but really, not a ton.

that being said, I am feeling a little jealous of layla's fun. esp when you say they are like potato chips. i would like to meet a cicada some time and get to eat some too. wonder if they will be coming here anytime soon?

my nest would be made of sticks. lotsa stix. and my humans sox and slipperz.
--Worm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts