Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The fertilizer bag should say. I used to have Chemlawn come out four or five times a year, and I would take my dogs to the kennel for the day, just in case. But given the number of people who have services fertilize their lawns regularly (one might say excessively), the risk of it harming an animal must be very low.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
My understanding is that weed killer (often included in fertilizer/lawn care products) may be associated with an increased incidence of certain tumors--lymphoma and bladder tumors.

There are various cancers whose prevalence in specific breeds indicates the risk is modulated in large part by inherited factors. Perhaps the best studied among these is bladder cancer in Scottish terriers. Recent work by Knapp, Glickman, and others3,4 shows that the risk for this disease is almost 20-fold greater in Scottish terriers than the average for all dogs. However, the occurrence of the disease seems to be influenced by environmental factors such as exposure to herbicides, as well as by body composition. The genes that modulate risk in this breed remain to be determined, and are possibly linked in a complex mode of inheritance that could make their identification challenging.[/b]
Source

The weed killer-lymphoma link is weak and controversial. However, because bassets are sometimes included on lists of breeds at increased risk for lymphoma, I personally avoid use of weed killer.

Herbicides and Lymphoma in Dogs

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
. But given the number of people who have services fertilize their lawns regularly (one might say excessively), the risk of it harming an animal must be very low.[/b]
The biggest risk of fertilizer especially lawn fertilizer is it tends to be highly acidic. One watered in it should be safe. Any adjuncts like herbicides and insecticides are a different matter.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We lost our beloved Bubba to Lymphoma when he was seven years old. We had been using Chem-Lawn's yearly plan of fertilizing and weed control for three years prior to his becoming ill. We did keep him off the grass until everythimg was watered in well and grass was dry as instructed. We can't say that this contributed to his Lymphoma, but we stopped Chem Lawn and have gone to an organic lawn service that we ae very pleased with. The products they use are safe for children and animals.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Lawn Treatments May Cause Harm to Pets

A couple of my dogs got into some blood meal on a friend's property a few years ago. The older dog spent the night at the emergency vet's for hydration and monitoring. The younger dog was able to come home, but also spent the night vomiting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts