Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had enough basset hounds over the last 25 years, that I figured I had seen everything. I'm used to them barking or yipping in their sleep. A little while ago, Gandy started singing in his sleep, howling at the moon. It was all muted (thankfully for the neighbors) but unmistakable. It was like having a coyote at the end of the block. It's too bad he doesn't really bark any, because he has a beautiful voice. I almost fell out of bed I was laughing so hard.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dogs are so funny when they sleep...my old dog used to run in his sleep and then bark or whine lmao! Glad he entertained you-too bad you didn't tape it to share with us all :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That's great!!! I think Molly, a very quiet dog, howled in her sleep once. She was very young and doesn't howl any other time. It was so funny... I called my husband at work to tell him what she did :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Annie did that two nights ago, scared the bee-geezus out of me until I figured out what it was. Soo cute though :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
My family was up for a visit and Virga started twitching and yipping in her sleep. My brother FREAKED out!!! He was like, "Wake her up! She's having a seizure!" Our dogs back home don't run or yip in their sleep I guess. That made me laugh more than anything. I reassured him that she was fine, just sleeping. It's also funny when one of them is yipping in their sleep and wakes the other up. The look they give the one that's yipping is so funny! Love it.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Too funny-- can't wait to hear Worm howl in his sleep one day. well, he doesn't even howl when he's awake, so here's to hoping...

BUT, does anyone's dog wag their tail in their sleep? scared me too the first time it happened. i was up at midnight and i head this thumping on the table. what tha??? i will try to capture this and post it....

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes!! Tail waggin' in her sleep is one of my favorite things in the entire world! I can only imagine what she's dreaming about. Cheese? Peanut Butter Treats? Ultimate Squeaky Squirrel Battles? Belly Rubs? Who knows!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer gets twitchy, and he'll give out big sighs in his sleep.

Hey Worm, Boomer doesn't howl, either. He howled once when he was a puppy, but nothing since. I wish he would; we are going to the vet this week for shots (gulp), so maybe that will set him off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, my Bentley would occasionally let loose a big howl in his sleep and promptly wake his self up, his other triggers were sirens.....ambulance or police, I loved that about him was very entertaining :') He also would do the sleeping tail wag, and as Buttercup said I always smiled wondering what on earth he was dreaming about, lol.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tonight he had me laughing so hard, that I was sure glad I had just gone to the bathroom. The next door neighbor (one who ironically voted against pets when we changed the condo rules recently) brought him a big bone. My husband has never had a dog before. Watching the dog try to bury and unbury the bone all day had us both rolling, until Gandy decided to bury the bone in our bed under his pillows. I thought he was going to jump up and wash his pillow cases right then and there. Another few months of living with a basset, and he'll get over that.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My in-laws knew a basset who would walk around the trailer he lived in with his owners and dig in a corner of the living room, place his bone or whatever he wanted to bury in his "hole", and then use his nose to cover the treat. His owners had family in town one day and the aunt or great-aunt (whatever she was) decided to help him out and covered his treat with a paper towel. The dog then promptly marched over to his treat, snatched the paper towel off of his treat, picked it up and "buried" it some where else. My in-laws still laugh about it!

And as I'm typing this Doppler is whimpering in his sleep and woke Virga up. She walked over to him and nosed him to make sure he was ok.

Dogs are so funny! I couldn't imagine being alone especially since my husband is deployed right now. They definitely improve my quality of life!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Woody will "run" in his sleep and let out little muffled "aroos"...he also sleeps with his eyes opened....now if that isn't a scary sight.:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts