Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stomps, being a rescue, is of indeterminate age, but I would guess he's about 10 years old. In the last couple of weeks, he's started to cry out sometimes when he moves. I'm guessing it's arthritis. :( But it's been years since I had an older dog. I gave my last dog Adequan injections, but she was very stoic and it was hard to tell when she was in pain. Stomps wears every emotion on his sleeve. Does anyone know the latest on arthritis treatment in older dogs? I'd like to be up on things before I take him to the vet.

A

·
0 Posts
Definitely take him to the vet. Only s/he can determine the cause of his pain and can recommend a course of action to follow. There are a few new medications out for arthritis that are miracle workers so good luck!!!
My brother's ancient golden retriever, Molly, takes a med named Metacam and it's almost turned her back into a puppy again. I've never seen such a turnaround in a dog. I gave Franny Metacam after his eye was removed and it kept him from wanting to rub his head on everything. It's pricey but what a great medication it's been!

[ September 30, 2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Beverly. As I mentioned in my original post, I have every intention of taking him to the vet, but I like to know the layman's experiences with various medications before I commit to them. This Metacam sounds awesome. I'll talk to the vet about it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stomps went to the vet on Saturday. She thought he had a luxated patella and some hip arthritis. So she prescribed an NSAID and glucosamine. In only three days he's acting like a puppy again. So we'll see what happens once he's off the anti-inflammatory. She did recommend swimming him and applying heat to the arthritic areas. There's a horse rehabilitation facility near me that allows dogs in the pool after 5 p.m., so I'm going to take him there. At the very least it will be a riot to see Stomps in a life vest. I'll take my camera.

E

·
0 Posts
There is also some evidence that Omega fish oil is beneficial.We use Rimadyl(nsaid),chondroitin/glucosamine and fish oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts