Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of dog doors, I've always been a staunch supporter of them, and my dogs LOVE them. But lately I've had a problem that I didn't foresee when I installed the doors, and that is of strange (as in not my) dogs coming in my house! In short, Lightning has a lover, Larry the Jack Russell. Lightning is a neutered male. Larry is an unneutered male, and he's MADLY in love with Lightning. Lightning's not quite as enamored of Larry. When he comes over, he obsessively humps Lightning until Lightning finally lets him know he's had enough. (I have invisible fencing, so my dogs' friends can visit but L&S can't go visiting.) Normally, if Lightning wanted to get away from unwanted company, he'd just come inside. Unfortunately, Larry appears well-versed with dog doors. I've been sitting in my living room several times when Lightning's come trotting in through the kitchen, and a second or two later, here comes Larry. It's such a shock to see a Jack Russell instead of Stomps, my other basset, come trotting into my house. Also, I think Larry might be marking in my house. I dont' know what to do--obviously Larry's parents, who were horrified the first time he went missing (straight to my house) and swore he'd never get away again, have since given up on keeping Larry away from the object of his affection. And our community is very tight and friendly, so I don't want to cause any rifts by insisting they keep him at home. I don't know what to do! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
219 Posts
OMG....I couldn't help but laugh when I read your post.

I think you should contact Larry's owners and suggest that they enroll Larry in a obedience class because humping can be a sign of agression with male dogs, also I'm sure they are embaressed by Larry's behavior. :roll:

I agree with Mike that you may want to look into an electronic doggy door that will only open for your animals. I don't know how your yard is but you may want to just lock your doggy door when you are not at home so that Larry can't come in. However, this means that your dogs also cannot go in and out as they please when your not home.

Also...an easy way to find "markings" is with a blacklight (I got one from Spencers for ten dollars). You wouldn't want your dogs to find the markings and make their own... :roll:

Good luck :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I don't want to cause any rifts by insisting they keep him at home. I don't know what to do! Any suggestions?
I'd say they are the ones causing the rift by allowing their dog to wander at large.

Every time it came into my house I'd be picking it up and ringing their doorbell.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'd call Animal Control.

J

·
0 Posts
I agree with Soundtrack. Really it is your neighbors that are causing a problem but then you don't want to instigate anything.

I would be as nice as I can & bring Larry back to them every time he comes in your house. Tell them you are so sorry to bother them, but you found Larry in your kitchen and you are sure that they must be worried where he went. If it were me I would embellish a little bit, you found him going through your trash... running through the house carrying your underwear... peeing in your living room.

I think the key is to be super nice, and really act like YOU feel bad 'bothering them' and if they have any worth whatsoever they will be awfully embarrassed!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larry is not neutered, and while his owners normally are very responsible animal keepers, I can't believe they let an unneutered dog roam. Jose, I LOVE your idea about "embellishing". Maybe I'll start rubbing him down with blueberry juice whenever he comes over and then tell his owners he got into the trash. Eventually they'll get tired of bathing him and start keeping him up. P.S. I'll try to get a photo the next time he's around--it's actually a very funny sight to see a tiny little Jack Russell "wooing" a basset hound with such gusto, although Lightning doesn't see the humor in it. If he were only an inch or two shorter, I'd have a REAL problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
LOL, never mind the blueberry juice, find something nice and smelly.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Maybe a can of anchovies or tuna would be enough for them to keep him in his own yard 8)

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Larry came skipping into my living room on Saturday. I'd had a bad pet day (depressing visit to the vet), so when I saw him I just started screaming at him to get out of my house. Then I shut Lightning in the house until Larry left. I totally missed my opportunity to try any of your all's delicious suggestions! Next time hopefully I'll remember.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have a dog somewhat like that in our community and what realy works with him is a lil spray of limeor lemon juice.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Or diluted ammonia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts