Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi ! I found this board from a gal who owns 3 Bassets.
I have 1, his name is, "Henry."

Last night I was scared to death ! I searched for someone to talk to regarding Henry.
He got into the litter box, cleaned it out, without my prior knowledge..
4 times he vomitted huge piles of flem. The 1st pile showed the evidence....

I gave him 1 benadryl to chill out, and today he is FINE !

Tuesday he will get worm meds. I am sure eating cat feces is not too healthy ! Geez !

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Welcome! I've also kept dogs and cats in the same household. I finally had to physically separate the litter box behind a babygate. There's just something about it that dogs find irresistible--probably the high protein content of the kitty roca. :p Hope Henry gets over his little adventure quickly. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm happy that he's doing fine now. :rolleyes: Sorry I couldn't help out more when he ate "it", but I don't have cats. It's great to get a little advise from people, but when in doubt, call a vet.

You will enjoy the hounds & their people on here, so I'm happy to see you sign up on here. I check here daily, just to see how everyone is doing.

BTW, thanks for viewing my hounds on the webcam. Dozer, Digger, & Dudley like the company. :lol: All four of us boys want to wish Henry a quick recovery from his kitty litter feast. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Henry is certainly a very handsome guy.

I'm so glad the kitty litter eating caper is turning out OK. Bassets seem to eat many things they shouldn't. We have Bogie, a three year old neutered male, who's claim to fame is having two different surgeries five months apart to remove ROCKS from obstructed intestines. Hopefully Henry will stick to things he can either throw up or pass through the intestinal tract.

This is a great forum, and we are glad you have found us.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Henry is very handsome! Welcome to the board. One of my two, Lightning, LOVES poop. I have to keep the cat's litter box in a bathroom that the dogs are not allowed in. So Lightning goes outside and eats whatever he can find in the yard. He used to bust through the Invisible Fence to get to the horse poop. I thought for sure that he'd get worms, get sick, or have some kind of problem from the poop-eating, but he's as healthy as a horse and as clean as a whistle (once you get passed his stinky mouth). I'm glad Henry is okay, but keep in mind that for some reason bassets tend to REALLY LIKE poop of any kind.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

Welcome from Janice, servant/mommy to little Ruby.

She loves eating the neighbors cat's 'crunchies'....but when she eats them, she barfs all over the place. This picture wasn't taken after she ate cat poop, but when I was cooking for Thanksgiving. LOL!

Janice and little Ruby

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hi! We have cats and bassets. We found this great pet gate that has a small door for the kitty to use but keeps the dogs out. We have a closet gated off for the litter box. This has worked great for us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts