Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Worm has a Kong toy. We bought the biscuits that go with them, and put peanut butter on them, and then stuff them inside.

Problem is, Worm gives up partway through (persistence-- not his thing...). so the biscuit's still inside. And really, it's kind of hard even for me to get it out!! even with my 2 hands and 10 fingers...

anyways, do people have other ideas about what to do with the Kong toy? (and has anyone had this problem with your dog giving up, losing interest, etc...) i would still love to put it to good use if possible... would be great to hear all the creative things people have come up with to entertain their bassets w/Kong toys :cool:

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don't use the kong toys everyday but have several different ones. Maggie and Daisy seem to like the can cheese squirted into the holes. It takes them awhile to get most out and is quick and easy for me. Then you can just wash out the waste so it doesn't get gross.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Worm sounds alot like my Woody...he doesn't keep interest in his Kong either....leaves his biscuits inside....and the spray in Peanut butter takes him less than 5 min to lick out....I thought it was just him...he's persistant if it comes to taking paper towels or toliet paper, just not the kong....

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do different layers to keep in interesting. Some things I use are cream cheese. Pumpkin, baby food turkey, veggies, green beans, peanut butter, maybe a thin layer of her food or small treats, plain yogurt, I guess what ever is around the house and ok for Gwen to eat. LOL. I always freeze it because it takes her longer to lick through it that way. There are a lot of ideas on different websites. I think Kong website even has ideas.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Try freezing the kong. Molly cleans the peanut butter out in record time, though the crunchy peanut butter takes longer. I also do layers of peanut butter and kibble. If you freeze it, then it takes them longer to finish. Maybe have 2 kongs on hand so that you can always have one in the freezer, ready when you need it. I honestly want to hug the person who invented it. It's the best toy ever!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Keep in mind the siz of the kong can be the problem If the kong is tooo big the dog can niether squezee the outside of the knog to bust up the cookie or work the cookie around with his tongue and teeth to gret the cookie in position it can get it out, simply a smaller kng size might be the solution.

toughy and Zephyr use to get real beef bones filled with marrow on ocassion. (one need to rember that marrow has a high fat content) After 5 - 10 minutes Zephyr would bark tell Toughy it was time to switch. This worked great with raw hide because slobbery toughy would soften up the rawhide so tight liap zepher could chew it. And getting a neww one slowed toughy down. On the marrow bone tough was biger and had a longer tonque and would have his cleaned out or cleaned out so far the Zephyr could not reach the marrow. Toughy then proceed to finish off the marrow In zephyr's bone as well. but she always insited they trade. Just another illustration on the need to size appropriately.

You may also want to consider a buster cube or similar toys that dispense a treat when moved.

(persistence-- not his thing...).
Persistence can be taught or even more so lack of persistence. When thing are not going well dogs often ask for assistence, so more than others but if it is alway forth coming the dog quickly learns it is easier to ask for help than do it on its own, Dont be so quick to help the dog out give them time to figure it out. and the easiet way to build persistence in anything food related is to make it part of the meal instead of the treat. A hungry dog is always more persistent and a fiull one. Give the kong before meal time he is more likely to learn what it takes to get the cookie. once he does he is more likely to do the same thing again even if less hungery.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I do a mix of peanut butter and plain yogurt and then I freeze the Kong, otherwise they get done WAY too fast with it :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had never thought about freezing the Kongs before! I'm going to have to fill them while they're either in their kennels or outside. Otherwise I won't get a moment's rest! They'll keep hounding (hee hee) me for their Kongs. I think we need to buy Virga an adult one since she's got all her adult teeth. She's almost not a puppy anymore! :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just tried the frozen kong trick and it's working like a charm. I also stuck a jerky stick in it for a handle, lol. Now I guess we'll have to buy more kongs. (i really should buy stock on their company, lol)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Boudreax's Mommy (and everyone else) - I think Petsmart has a sale on all Kong items now. I am going over this weekend to get things for Winston, including his own Kong. I might get a few.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I will freeze some of the canned dog food in the kong- mine think it's heavenly... also- we have a rolling ball- big orange lumpy thing- you can fill with treats and as it tumbles about they fall out... just discovered our puppy will chase it for hours for the treats... bought cheerios on the advice of his trainer and he adores it!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks everyone, for all the great Kong ideas.
Lots I never though of. i think we will ditch the biscuits and go for freezing all sorts of fun treats instead (including layering...!)

We are off to Petsmart on Sunday, and I think I'll get him a few more Kongs to experiment with....

(Worm says: "yayyyyyy!!!!!!")

1 - 12 of 12 Posts