Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snoopy has started to bark and howl when someone knocks on our front door (for the past 10 days or so) or when the post man comes. Its done in a very excitable way but to people not too fond of dogs it must sound really quite scary.

She's about 18 months old now and has never ever done this before. She usually just runs to the front door and sits and waits for us to come to open it.

Is there any way we can stop this behaviour before it becomes a habbit? Is this a normal behaviour? Is she just protecting 'her' home?

Thanks,
Clare

·
Registered
511 Posts
People can get as far as the door? My two know how everyone's car sounds like. They get real excited when they hear a Dodge diesel (2 blocks away), because my dad had one. And don't forget the UPS truck. They know it when he's blocks away too. Probably because the UPS guy has to come to the fence to see them. All they need is attention. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah ...they will eventually be able to tell the difference between the sound of YOUR car and someone elses. Mine know my husband's car ...my car ...and at this point, they no longer get up for the mail truck. They know he's not going to stay and play with them :rolleyes:

I think my two scare the heck out of anyone who rings the doorbell or knocks. I have double doors that are beveled glass so people can't tell that it's just two Basset Hounds ...rather than two Rotties or other more fierce breeds :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mr. Runcible never barks when someones at the door. He just sits there, cocks his head
and stares. I would like a dog that could alert me of intruders and such like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Morgan just runs about trying to work out what all the fuss is about while our springer Harvey goes mad barking and jumping 6 feet in the air so he can see through the little window in our front door. When he's grounded Morgan runs up to him and acts like he's trying to ask what's up, who's out there. He very rarely barks at the door himself though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts