Basset Hounds Forum banner

"Kissed by Royalty"

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Rubydoo 
#1 ·
I was walking Mocha and Beldin as usual in the morning and decided to take a different route than we normally go (mostly due to the fact that the hounds together outweigh me and have a lower center of gravity and they decided ... "we're going THIS way!") *hehe*

Anyhow on our little side trip there was an elderly man walking very slowly along the street. He was quite shakey and slow and every step was deliberate. He had a very thoughtful look on his face, almost sad. So I called to him "Good morning!" With a bright smile ... hoping to cheer him up a little or see if I could put a smile on his face.

Well he looked up and his eyes met mine and he gave a slight nod... then, while he was looking down to the ground again his eyes slid over Mocha and Beldin and he stopped and just stared at them ... all of a sudden his face brightened into a slow smile and he started to lean down and reach toward them ...

So I walked over toward him with the houndies and I had a grip on their lead in case they got it into their heads to jump, but to my surprise they both sat nice and just wriggled and squirmed while he reached down to gently pat the tops of their heads.

As the old gentleman bent over, both Beldin and Mocha gave him a big wet SLURP on the side of his face.

The old guy stood up with a grin, his hand touching his cheek and he said "What's their names?" I said (pointing at each in turn) "This one's Mocha, that's Beldin" ... he said "No no... that won't do ... what's their FULL names?" I smiled and bent down to put an arm around each hound as I "introduced" them properly...

"This, is Miss Mocha Latté and this is Sir Beldin Feldigast the First"

The old man stood still for a moment ... his hand still gently touching his cheek and he smiled and almost whispered "I've been kissed by royalty" ... then he turned slowly and shuffled on his way down the street.

The hounds just looked at me, still squirming ... so we turned and came home ...

"Miss Mocha" and "Sir Beldin" are now sound asleep and snoring on my feet as I type this ... and as I gaze on their sleepy smooshy faces I think about how lucky I am to have them ... and how they made the old gentleman smile ... and yes, they are royalty.

See less See more
#4 ·
A touching story. Miss Mocha and Sir Beldin you are indeed royalty. We are always amazed when we walk Bogie Carter and the smiles we see on faces as others walk or drive by. Bassets seem to bring out the best in people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.