Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever had their basset diagnosed with crystals in their urine? my girl i adopted in december was a few months ago. she was put on antibiotics and given perscription food. i continued with the food ($18 for 10lb bag) for 2 months. she got better so i took her off the perscription food. unfortunately the crystals came back so she is back on the food permanently. anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 3 yr old male had a calcium oxalate stone removed in January and had chrystals in his urine. The vet said to feed only a prescription diet. I did a bunch of research and have decided not to. My vet was not thrilled about it at first, but agreed that even on the rx food they can have problems. The food I went with has the correct calcium/phosphorous ratio and produces an alkaline ph. How old is your girl? Unfortunately, I think that when they have crystals you have to monitor them forever. If you would like some of the other info/links I found, email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
It's important to know which type of crystals a dog has, because treatment is different for different types of crystals. Most struvite crystals and stones are found in females, and oxalate crystals and stones are usually seen in males. Struvite crystals form in slightly acid to alkaline urine (pH>6.3), while oxalate crystals form in acid urine (low pH).

Struvite crystals are associated with bladder infections, and they may clear when the infection is adequately treated with antibiotics. Prevention of future infection is an important part of managing this type of crystaluria.

Crystals may also form in urine specimens if there is a delay between the time of collection and the time the specimen is examined. When this happens, it may not reflect what's actually present in the dog's urinary tract.

Here are some discussions of bladder stones and urinary crystals (crystaluria).

Canine Struvite Stones
Canine Oxalate Stones
Improving management of urolithiasis: diagnostic caveats

[ May 28, 2005, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts