Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about picking one of these up- I know so many folks who have one for larger dogs. Anyone tried one with your basset? They seem more water adverse than the average dog, but Fergus seems to tolerate baths and he's so sad and hot looking these days.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i know with trooper it would be pointless, he does fine with his bath. but he wont even walk threw a muddle puddle, or when its raining he stays right beside the house. so at least for trooper i wouldnt even bother. he would probably just think it was a gaint water dish

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
IF your basset does not swim it is likely a failed investment. I can put Macey in one Mariah on the other hand it is not going to happen When she is wet down to keep cool at an agility trial is with a hose. not that she like that but at least you can do that from a safe distance.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
i refuoooosed to get in the pooool during the Swimming Contest at the Basset Games.

However, i'm a witness that other bassets were competing quite well in the contest, so it looks like bassets can be trained to go in and out of them :)
--Worm

·
Registered
21 Posts
My basset Molly always refuses to get into the water. So, instead, on hot days we like to use a hose to cool her down so she doesn't over heat.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I used a kiddie pool for my pet duck when I was a kid. I had to go out in winter to break the ice for her. One winter the pool broke, and I sure got some funny looks trying to buy another one. Had to settle for a baby bath tub.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hank likes baths.. Sometimes he'll stand infront of the tub and just smell it and paw at it with his nose. He's tried jumping in to it a few times too, But I don't know if he'd be a good swimmer or not.. Maybe.
Blind dog swimming would be awesome... I know he doesn't like the lake though.. haha..Bad experience!

So maybe he wouldn't do too well after all :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
We bought one for Sadie after finding out she enjoys the kiddie pool at daycare. A few things we had to modify. Sadie is small at 35lb. full grown and it's an awkward jump into and out of the pool for her.

We have a small set of steps going in and out of the pool. She would not get in the pool at day care until they had steps leading into the pool and find out what all the fuss was about. With the steps it's been no problem.

We have to keep the water level low and bought a pool with a small built in slide as she has a habit of laying down in the pool and the slide keeps her head above water. Needless to say when she's in the pool she under constant supervision.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Sadie is small at 35lb. full grown and it's an awkward jump into and out of the pool for her.
The akwardness is not that she is small rather she does not know how to use her back legs to propel herself with force which jumping vertically requires. This is true of most bassets. That is why teaching them how to jump is one of the more prolonged training regimines.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Contrary to what I normally do, I posted here then stopped on my way home from work to pick one up. Ha! Well, let's just say we invested in a $7 giant water dish. So far, Fergus is far more interested in drinking out of it than getting in it. BUT, it was cheap, so I'm not overly disappointed. The good news is, this will make bathing a bit easier during the summer. We have a walk-in shower (no bath), so baths usually involve some variation of showering together or funny contortions to get him clean.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
We have a walk-in shower (no bath), so baths usually involve some variation of showering together or funny contortions to get him clean.
Actual if you have a hand shower attachment for the shower head I find this much easier to use the shower than a bathtub because there is no lifting to get in and out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts