Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this doesn't sound like too silly of a question. But how important are kennel names when you start entering competition? As previously mentioned I do not plan to breed anytime soon but didn't know if it was an issue at shows, mostly obedience trials and tracking events.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
If you mean do they affect your ability to enter or compete, they don't matter at all. Plenty of dogs named something like "Princess XXXVII" compete and do well in performance events. As far as conformation goes, the judge does not know the dog's name.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks. Wasn't sure if you had to sign in with a kennel name and stuff. Or when registering with the AKC wasn't sure if I had to put a kennel name down. Since I am starting from scratch, I don't have one.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
You don't NEED one, but if you're breeding you want to have one to identify YOUR dogs. It's like your trademark or family name. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but something that's unique is less likely to be used by someone else. You might want to start thinking about it now, it actually took me a long time to come up with one that combined my two interests (bassets and music).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yes,as Soundtrack says this "Kennel" name will identify your dogs from anyone else's. It doesn't mean you have a kennel full of dogs it is just the prefix to any dogs you may breed such as I chose "Brownstone" so the last girl of my line was "Brownstone's by Devine Design" or "Grace" was her call name. Some breeders allow their puppy owners to complete the puppy's name on the AKC papers as long as they keep the prefix of your "Kennel" name. For example "Brownstones Long Ears Milly" but personally, and more breeders than not,choose to name the puppy on the AKC papers before someone takes the puppy home. It is ,I think,easier to keep records straight because the AKC requires us to keep records on every puppy we sell. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Kennel names basically make the dog your own.they can be fun names too.some people use the area or creeks or Rivers where they live,nicknames from where they live or are from.i have a dirty mind or so i have been told and one kennel name that i never thought about until i really thought off color was "Morningwood"they have very good hounds,always a good chance of winning the shows that they are in,but i was watching the Beavis and Butthead show one night and Beavis says a prayer that went like this...god is great... god is good...we thank him for our morning wood.Now i'm not saying that was the the reason they named there kennel that but i wish i would have thought of it first,i still get a chuckle when i think about it.my kennel name is Pinehawk of course,when my mother was alive my father had the kennel name of Mag-Jo's.a combo of there first names,he now goes under the name Baysides,the area of town where he lives is called Baysides Heights.So have fun with your name if you like or you can use your last name only or you can spell your last name backwards whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
LOL! I'll never think of that kennel in quite the same way again. :D

A

·
0 Posts
It's so much fun to name a dog! I live in Hampton Bays on Long Island, New York. The original inhabitants (Native Americans) called the area "Ponquogue" (also the name of one of the major roads) which in English means "good ground". This was the name of the town until they changed it to Hampton Bays. Hence Molly's name "Good Ground's Cowgrrrl Blues". I also thought the good ground thing related well to scent hounds. The "...Cowgrrrl Blues" part comes from a favorite book "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" by Tom Robbins. When I was a little girl the only things I wanted were to go to college and be a cowgirl. Yee-Ha!! Take care y'all! Belinda.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Belinda, I always thought Molly's name had somethig to do with coffee grounds! :D

Harley's AKC name is Hurricane Harley. Her sire is Hurricane's Doogie, but since she came from a puppy mill in North Dakota, I didn't want to use their "kennel" name. Long story short, my boss had purchased Harley from a pet store in New Jersey and by the time the papers came in to register her; he had already given her to me and had named her Harley. From the name, most people think she's a he, so we use Harley Chick. :confused:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, thanks for all the great advice, I never realized the part about having to keep track of the pups other than the fact they are sold. I thought it was interesting when we got our bulldog that we had to sign a contract agreeing to keep the kennel name, but we could add whatever we wanted to the rest of the name. I sent the breeder a copy of the name we decided on for our bully so she would know but didn't realize the importance of that.
Her name is Diamond Bull's Tiger Rose. And we call her Rosie.
The lady we got our basset, Lily from had no such requirements, but she didn't show her dogs either, only hunted with them, even though she had them registered with the AKC. I have had a very had time explaining the need for registered and kennel names to my hubby. He didn't want to give her a big long name so I just named her Milissa's Favorite Lily.
But, I have been thinking of a kennel name, when I was young our farm was named Willow Creek I was thinking of continuing with that, now that my parents are gone and the farm is no more. But we also live near a river called Back River and I thought Back River Bassets would be a good name, expect my husband doesn't want to live here for much longer, he doesn't care for the area and wants to move so then the name probably wouldn't make sense. So I will keep trying. I am now thinking of something having to do with books. We collect books of all kinds and he has a degree in literature so I was thinking something like Storytime Bassets, because our last name is Story, but that sounds too sappy to me.
This is getting way too long. Thanks so much for ya'lls help, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The thing is once you pick your kennel name it isn't a good idea to change it and it is ok if it doesn't make sense.When I picked "Brownstone" I was watching a TV soap,someone on there said about going to The Brownstone where they lived the name sounded good with bassets since then we've lived in Florida and now we are on a mountain but the name will not change because its what it means to me that is important.

A

·
0 Posts
Billy, that was HILARIOUS. Thanks, I needed that laugh, it's been a rough day.

A

·
0 Posts
Billy, my boy Ben's dad is Morningwood's Ulysses, which my teenaged sons think is hilarious. It was funny the first time I heard it, but I do get tired of hearing "Morningwood".

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ulysses? i've seen photo's of him!! he looked awesome.i think maybe i will change my kennel name to "Are you happy to see me" or "Sportin' Wood" or "Pup Tent" i just got my new Tally Ho Magazine the other day and just started to laugh when i got to the Ad for them,they also had some pics of some younger hounds of theirs winning some shows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts