Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend thinks Captain (our boxer) may have kennel cough. Has anyone's dog ever had this? Do you know where it comes from? We have not had them at any kennels at all or around any strange dogs. Captain goes to our office every day, but no other dogs are there. He has a dry hacky cough, just coughs once every now and then, mostly first thing in the am and when he gets excited and moves around a lot. It started yesterday morning, and has gradually gotten worse. I hope Button and Elmer don't get it! :(
I have an appt for him in the morning. Any tips on how to keep this from escalating? Should I disinfect the house? Keep them apart? Captain and Elmer were playing in each other's faces this morning. I just thought he was coughing from a treat he had last night, because he threw up a little this morning.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give! :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, he has been home for over an hour and no coughing. Perhaps it was just something he ate. I'm still taking him into the vet tomorrow, though. I Googled Kennel Cough and the symptons kind of sound like his, just very minimal. He has not been in any crowded situations with other dogs, has his own crate, etc.

It's a mystery. :blink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the vaccinations administered to the dogs when puppies and then the yearly booster shots prevent Kennel cough. Let us know what the vet said.

Wishing the best for Capt.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would thought so too. I'm not sure what is included in the vaccinations. I will report back tomorrow. Hope everyone doesn't think we have the typhoid Mary syndrome here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
According to my vet, there are many strains on kennel cough. Not all are affected by the nose drops. Yes, kennel cough imunization is done through drops that are placed in the dog's nose, not a shot. It has to be done on a yearly basis to be effective. Since we show our dogs we keep their kennel cough imunization current on those we plan to take to the shows.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The vaccination is not usually part of the routine vaccinations. We usually get it for our silky terrier because it's required to go to the groomer. I think it's called Bordetella. I had a springer spaniel that I had to board at a kennel once and he got kennel cough even after receiving the vaccination. It's been so long now, I can't remember, but I think they put him on some antibiotics and it cleared up without any complications.

Just wanted to add that our silky gets hers through injections.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Once we had to board our German Shepherd on short notice. The Vet didn't administer the usual drops but instead used a injection. He said because of the short notice it would enter the system quicker??? I know with my other dogs, I've always gotten it just in case as part of the yearly exam in the usual form of drops.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i just took my basset, sadie, to the vet today because she woke up with honking sounding cough. its kennel cough. the vet said that its very contagious and sadie is banned from the dog park for 1 week. the vet checked her heart and lungs. then prescribed antibotics, baytril and a cough suppressent. she wasnt coughing alot but it got my attention. i need to watch for any changes in the next few days. she is eating but seems a little less then her bassety self. good luck.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts