Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, first thing, Henry started coughing and gagging. Also, he's thrown up mucus a couple of times. He seems to be resting just fine now, and I haven't fed him.

From what I've learned by Googling it seems he has kennel cough. He had a bortadella shot last December, which I thought was good for a year. Now, I read it should be every six months.

I plan to call the vet when they open, but am wondering if anyone has experience, and/or advice about this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your vet is your best place for information. I'm glad to hear that you consulted him/her.

Information ---

Imunization for bordetella is administered through nose drops not a shot. There are many strains of kennel cough and some are not affected by the drops.

Coughing, gagging and throwing up mucus could also be early signs of bloat

·
Registered
775 Posts
Please let us know how Henry is doing. I had to board my German Shepherd on very short notice once. The Vet gave him a shot for Kennel Cough. He said the shot was because we didn't allow enough time for the nose drops to be effective??? It was a unexpected trip so we had to leave ASAP. I guess the shot gets into the system faster?? Hope Henry is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Henry is doing just fine. The vet found that he did have irritation in his trachea area, and prescribed an antibiotic. He's no longer coughing, and seems to have just as much energy as ever. Took a long walk this morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Henry is doing just fine. The vet found that he did have irritation in his trachea area, and prescribed an antibiotic. He's no longer coughing, and seems to have just as much energy as ever. Took a long walk this morning.
[/b]
Great news!!! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts