Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the symptoms of kennel cough? My new addition,Buttons, sounds like she is clearing her throat she repeats this sound for about 5 or 6 times then nothing. She is up to date with all her shots including bordetella. We got new carpet and maybe its just the fibers. She has been doing this for about 2 weeks maybe 2 or three times total in a 24 hour period no loss of appetite or runny nose. Her eyes do tear but not that much. I think I will take her to my vet so I have peace of mind I have 2 bassets and I do not want an epidemic of something on my hands.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
All three of ours with kennel cough sounded as if they were gagging with something stuck in their throat. They'd wretch and hack... and nothing would come up. It was continuous throguh both day and worse at night. lasted 4-6 weeks depending upon the critter :) Our little pound puppy still has a cough but the vet said now probably allergy. His is now more of a hoarse "barky" cough several times a day- Good luck with the little guy- Wendy

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well from all the info Mine do not have kennel cough we got new carpet and I just think it is the fibers they sniff in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
BB

Just so you're aware, if you aren't already, there are 3 strains of kennel cough and the bordatella only protects against one. It's why I don't bother with the vaccination.

Doesn't sound much like KC though. Mine usually have a dryish cough for a couple days that turns into what sounds like a moose's mating call. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts