Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my foster basset has kennel cough. We're treating it with amoxycillin and it's getting better. But, I have my Christmas vacation planned for next week, and now my kennel won't even take my coonhound Henry (he's up to date on DHLPP and Bordatella). I'm trying to move the foster out today and if Henry is asymptomatic will try to put him in a kennel when we leave next Tuesday. My vet said that would probably be safe (for the kennel). I did not realize that a vaccinated dog can still be infected, of course I would not have taken the foster knowing this (and assuming I'd been told she had kennel cough - she didn't start coughing until I got her home). Any suggestions?

Art

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That's awful- what a tough situation!

I guess if I were you I'd continue talking with your vet and do what he reccommends- sorry I don't have anything else to offer-

Just hope it works out so that you all can have a nice holiday!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
, and now my kennel won't even take my coonhound Henry (he's up to date on DHLPP and Bordatella). I'm trying to move the foster out today and if Henry is asymptomatic will try to put him in a kennel when we leave next Tuesday. My vet said that would probably be safe (for the kennel). I did not realize that a vaccinated dog can still be infected, of course I would not have taken the foster knowing this (and assuming I'd been told she had kennel cough - she didn't start coughing until I got her home). Any suggestions?

Art[/b]
You may want to investigate petsitting/dogwalking services in your area. often times they are cheaper than kenneling and you don't have to worry about the kennel not acepting them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did not realize that a vaccinated dog can still be infected, of course I would not have taken the foster knowing this
Art[/b]
Art, of the 5 dogs we've owned, the only ones who didn't contract kennel cough after being boarded were the 2 who had never received a bordetella vaccine! It could be that they were also the ones we had started feeing an organic 1/2 raw diet, but I found it very interesting. Perhaps the information below will help you out.

Regarding the Bordetella (Kennel Cough) vaccine, on Page 2 of the American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines and Recommendations, it states that "Optional or 'noncore' vaccines are those that the committee believe should be considered only in special circumstances because their use is more dependent on the exposure risk of the individual animal. Issues of geographic distribution and lifestyle should be considered before administering these vaccines. In addition, the diseases involved are generally self-limiting or respond readily to treatment. The committee believes this group of vaccines comprises distemper-meases virus (D-MV), canine parainfluenza virus (CPIV), Leptospira spp., Bordetella bronchispetica, and Borrelia burdorferi."

Further, on Page 14 of the AAHA Guidelines, it states: "Bordetella bronchiseptica (B. bronchiseptica): Bordetella bronchiseptica is another cause of the “kennel cough” syn-drome. Infection in some susceptible dogs generally causes a self-limiting, upper respiratory disease and rarely causes life-threatening disease in otherwise healthy animals. Clini-cal disease resolves quickly when treated with appropriate antibiotics. Vaccination does not block infection but appears to lessen clinical disease, and vaccines provide a short DOI (<1 year) [table 2]. It is also unknown whether current vac-cine strains protect against all field strains."

Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and Don't Know, Dr. Ronald Schultz http://www.cedarbayvet.com/duration_of_immunity.htm

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are accessible online at http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm .

The 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are downloadable in PDF format at http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf .

Veterinarian, Dr. Robert Rogers,has an excellent presentation on veterinary vaccines at http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts