Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to the dog world, having only had my basset for a year. I'm a bit confused with all these different Kennel clubs. I talked to one basset breeder that says that AKC dogs are the only way to go. Another said she'd have nothing more to do with AKC and is now registering her pups with CKC. Is there a difference? Does it really matter? please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I never realized all these clubs existed until recently.
We got our basset as a pup from a friend that just could not handle her. IMO it was more of a personality clash. Recently I've thought about getting her a companion. So I've talked to a few breeders and now I'm more confused than I was going into this. whats the deal? Should I just look at getting a good pet and not care about its registration?
thanks.
Bryan

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
The Continental Kennel Club (not to be confused with the Canadain Kennel Club) is a registry for puppymillers who do not wish to meet the AKC's requirements. As AKC is getting tougher with inspections, DNA testing and revoking privileges, these alternate registries simply require that you pay the fee and VOILA! you have papers to give to unsuspecting puppy buyers.

From the CKC website - rules and regulations
5. If the sire and dam are not registered with another club, or with CKC, the owner /breeder applicant must complete the application, sign it, and have two witnesses sign the application verifying the information on the application.

Meaning if you and two other people say it's purebred, then it is!

You can even register mixed breeds:
Continental Kennel Club has a miscellaneous section for developing new breeds. CKC will recognize a cross between any two purebred dogs, and will issue a registration certificate on their offspring. These crosses are not registered as purebred dogs but are registered as the offspring of purebred dogs. The registration certificate for these crosses will show MISC followed by the two parent breeds. When we register a sufficient number of a particular cross, it will be assigned a name; for example, MISC: PEKINGESE / POODLE is MISC/PEK-A-POO.

United Kennel Club IS a legitimate registry, holding shows and performance events, but it mostly serves the rare breed dogs.

While AKC registration is not a guarantee of quality, lack of it is a warning sign.

[ February 13, 2003, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
While the United Kennel Club is indeed a legitimate registry, the Universal Kennel Club functions in much the same way as does the Continental Kennel Club.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said before, please excuse my ignorance on this subject. I'm trying to understand this all a bit more.
I can see the point Soundtrack makes against the CKC, that seems to me that its just more of a way to provide dogs with some sort of paperwork than it is to keep dogs true to the breed.

While AKC registration is not a guarantee of quality, lack of it is a warning sign.
If having an AKC registered dog isn't a guarantee of quality, what is it? Does it imply some sort of breed standards? Are dogs in other countries bred and registered with the American Kennel Club? Do people in Austrailia care if they're dogs are AKC registered? I've seen basset hounds here in florida that are AKC registered, that have clearly been crossbred with another breed and yet, the papers say its a pure bred dog. Is it easy to forge puppy registration to get a higher dollar amount for them?
Bryan

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
If having an AKC registered dog isn't a guarantee of quality, what is it?

It's a minimum standard. While not all AKC bassets come from reputable breeders, all reputable breeders will AKC register their dogs.
Sorta like while not all people are children, all children are people.

Are dogs in other countries bred and registered with the American Kennel Club? Do people in Austrailia care if they're dogs are AKC registered?

I'm talking about dogs born in the USA. In Canada we register our dogs with the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club). Each country has it's own registry, or those that don't use the FCI (Federation Cynologique International (SP?))

Is it easy to forge puppy registration to get a higher dollar amount for them?

Yes. That's why you have to look carefully for a breeder.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The AKC registration, and all others are no better than the person who sent in the papers. There was a person who had some beagles afew years ago and he would send in for registration of a litter, and then go down south, buy cheap puppies and have AKC papers for the pups. Many litters of say 6 pups were registered as 7 or 8 puppies. This gives the breeder an extra set of papers for some other puppy. The AKC rate increases are making some people consider if it is worth it. None of the registries do any real amount of checking on accuracy of the applications. The AKC came out with a rule that a puppy must be registered within one year-UNLESS, you send us more money and if it has been more than 2 yrs., send more money and a short note and we will register the pup!! This sure sounds like just a way of getting more money!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and answers to my questions.
I noticed that AKC only allows pups to be registered that are from AKC registered parents. So if one parent of the pups (even though purebred) is not registered, and the other parent is, then the pups are not able to be registered with AKC? By keeping the registration limited to only dogs from AKC parents, doesn't that pose some kind of problems with genetic defects in a breed due to inbreeding? I may be way offline here, as I have no idea how many AKC registered dogs from different bloodlines there are in the US. But it seems to me that if you only bred dogs registered by the same kennel club, eventually, you'd run into some problems with breeding in the same family and then actually weakening the breed instead of keeping it pure and strong. Is this something that breeders and kennel clubs take into account? am I way out of line on this one?
Bryan

·
Registered
939 Posts
there was 10789 bassets registered with the AKC last year.i don't think there would be a problem.what you are thinking about is something sometimes called "Line Breeding" when you bred within a bloodline.when done RIGHT with proper "Out-Crosses"(outside of the blood line) to freshen up your bloodline,it is a good way to keep what you are looking for,while adding new to the mix to ENHANCE your Bloodline.done wrong and you could have nothing but trouble on your hands,and ruin a lifetime of work.not to mention the MUTANT dogs that are produced and sometimes sold to unknowing people.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
AKC also recognizes dogs registered with other legitimate registries, so, for example, my Canadian Kennel Club registered dogs can be AKC registered. Or an AKC bitch can be bred to a foreign stud and the pups can be AKC registered (if born in the US and the paperwork is all in order.) So you really have a world of bloodlines available.

[ February 14, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Bryan: If I may add my two cents here. :) I know very little about AKC, CKC, etc... BUT; instead of buying a puppy companion for your basset, perhaps consider getting a rescued basset! Many bassets are given up to Basset Houdns Rescue groups, across the country. We here in Georgia, at www.bhrg.org, get in lots of bassets every year. Many of them are one year of age or younger - as with your pup, people go tthem and couldnt' handle them, so dumped them at a shelter (where BHRG gets them, from the shelter), or turned them in to us directly.

All rescued bassets fror rescues, will come to you spayed or neutered already, and with all their current shots; thsoe two things alone will save you about $300 in vet bills over the first year of that puppy's life. They also live with foster families, so the foster families know their temperament and personalitiy, and can help match you up with the right dog. Plus, you'd be saving the life of a homeless hound!

Just my two cents. I'm always trying to recruit for the rescues.... :) :)

I see from your profile that you live in Sarasota, Florida. I am friends with several folks in Suncoast BH Rescue, the rescue group in Florida. Their website is at www.suncoastbassethoundrescue.com They have 40+ bassets in foster care right now, everything from 6-month-old puppies to 10-year-old senior citizens. :)

[ February 19, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Menzie ]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Menzie, thanks for the reply!
I'm not looking for a new pup. all this talking that I had done with those breeders was just trying to get some insight on the breed and answer some questions. I'd love to get another companion for both my family and copper, but it would definatly be a rescue basset and not a new puppy. I don't think my wife wants to go through the new puppy stage anytime soon ;)
I can't understand for the life of me why people get these dogs and then they end up in shelters. I've never owned a dog with more personality and devotion as our basset hound has. She was a bit difficult to potty train, and that was frustrating, but I think it was more my fault for not understanding her and keeping her on a good schedule. here is a pic of her as a pup. I don't have a more recent pic, sorry.
http://www.suncoastpaintball.com/dogs/3%20puppies.jpg
Shes the one in the middle.

I'll definatly check out the suncoast rescue website and find out more about adopting a basset through them. thanks for the info!!!
Bryan

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Oh, she's adorable! They all three are!

I agree - we've had puppies before in our lives, and I don't think I'll ever want to raise one again! even as cute as puppies are.... they are SO much trouble! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts