Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen the 2007 American Kennel Club dog show on Animal Planet at least 10 times in the last two months, and it got me wondering if a basset had ever won a best in show for either the AKC or WKC. I found results for the WKC online that go back to 1907, but I can't seem to find anything for the AKC. Are there other big shows, like the UKC? Or do basset breeders not focus on winning best in show, but instead focus on breed-specific shows? If anybody knows where to find the list of winners for past shows let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A few years ago, an ex neighbour of mine whose friend had been a judge at Crufts many years ago, told her that he thought Basset Hounds were 'oddities' and would never win Best in Show anywhere... ! Bassets are just the BEST DOGS IN THE WORLD!!!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
he thought Basset Hounds were 'oddities' and would never win Best in Show anywhere... !
If fact there are a numbe of highly regarded bassets in the us with multiple BIS Topsfield Bumper cars top basset all time had 45 BIS at all breed shows and 23 specialty wins and Topsfield/Vison Silver noodles top all time basset bitch with 24 BIS. But more importantly it show the part of politics and perception play in high level Conformation competition were reputation and earning your dues is more important thant the actual quality of the dog. that and the so called "attitude" that all the winners have but is not to be found anywhere in the breed standard.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't personally get that into the breed shows, it seems like a bit too much emphasis on perfection and less on having good dogs, but there was a basset named Big Red on the 2007 show that looked like he was having the time of his life when he got to run around the ring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A couple of years ago a pretty lemon and white basset won best in group at one of the big shows they televise...I don't think she won the whole thing though.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
there was a basset named Big Red on the 2007 show that looked like he was having the time of his life when he got to run around the ring.
That may have been the Nolans's dog. Nice boy who shows in my part of the country. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a teaching assistant at my school right now, and the professor for the introductory biology course was going to be a vet in his early career, so he worked with dogs a lot. I told him I had a basset and he responded 'I thought you said you had a dog'. He's an old guy in his prime joke-telling years, but I didn't let him have that one (we have a pretty good back-and-forth relationship). Then he told me they didn't have a real bark! I wonder if he knows what a basset hound really is?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
A couple of years ago a pretty lemon and white basset won best in group at one of the big shows they televise
That would have been Topsfield Vision Silver Noodles, mention above top winning basset bitch of all time

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sarge (Ch Showtime's Shock and Awe) is a best in show winner. I have met him several times at shows as well as seen him place in a field trial. He is a very sweet and outgoing dog. I belive he was on one of the Eukanuba shows and got a group placement before but I could be wrong. Some breeds just win best in shows alot more than other breeds for various reasons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts