Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a health question about keeping the ear canals clean (although I've had my fun with that) but Maggie's ears are always dirty. When she runs and plays she drools, that drool rubs onto her ears at mouth level and then she gets them dirty or dusty and so there is almost always a layer of mud there.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a quick way to clean without an entire bath?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Huggies baby wipes!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I too use either baby wipes or a warm wet washcloth.

~Heather

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here is the perfect solution to keep your hound's ears cleaned.

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application).

Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently for 30 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Fill a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain. I use a eye dropper to fill the ear.

Treatment:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

If you are concerned about the alcohol burning the inside of the ear (it could if the dog has been scratching its ear), then you can substitute the alcohol with witch hazel.

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid is usually in the First Aid section where you find the alcohol. The Gentian Violet will be the hardest to find and may need to be special ordered.

This will also treat ear mites.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If there's dried-on material, a shedding blade run gently over the ear leather works well. I've also heard a stripping knife works well, but I haven't tried one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
FYI, Gentian Violet stains like the dickins! If you use, use outside or somewhere you don't mind blue spots.

·
Registered
77 Posts
FYI, Gentian Violet stains like the dickins! If you use, use outside or somewhere you don't mind blue spots.[/b]
Brandy really likes this solution for cleaning her ears better than any the vet has given us. She doesn't shake her head as much so it seems not to bother her as much. She hates her ears cleaned. I wear plastic gloves and use it outside only. It can be used on the outside of the ears to clean also it works very fast. I used it on itch spots also. My nephews retriever had a hot spot by his tail and they were using all kinds of creams and medication to help. When he tried this solution it cleared it up after a week and he uses it to keep the hot spots gone.
Stephanie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts