Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old who ears get wet eating and when outside. He just got diagnosed with ear infection.
Any suggestions bowls or something to wear so ears don’t get wet.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I don't think his infection is to do with the ears 'getting wet' when outside/eating. Of course the long ears will get wet but that's easily put right by a quick towelling down!! Ears and undercarriage both. You could have him wear a snood, but frankly why bother? I'd suggest they are better with 'free air' circulating.

Ear infections happen but shouldn't have anything to do with the lower ends of the ears being wet!!

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
"Ear infections happen but shouldn't have anything to do with the lower ends of the ears being wet!!"

absolutely correct , a snood if anything will make ear infections more likely. However "spaniel bowls With their narrow opening and wide base tend to help in keeping ears out of the food and drinking bowl

Best way to prevent them is weekly ear cleaner with some sort of drying agent, Alcohol or witch hazel in US. those in UK swear by thornit powder.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Best way to prevent them is weekly ear cleaner with some sort of drying agent, Alcohol or witch hazel in US. those in UK swear by thornit powder.

I have never had much improvement with Thornit - with a basset's ears, it's hard, I found, to get the powder down where it's needed.

The cleaner I currently have is alcohol based, but the bottle doesn't last long. I have a bottle of witch hazel in the bathroom cupboard however, and would love to know how best to administer this please?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Ear cleaning with Witch Hazel

Thanks M - I'll have to use my spare metacam syringe to get the WH into the ear. Probably going to be cheaper than buying other commercial cleaners!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts