Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a year ago my husband got rid of all our carpet and replaced most of it with hardwood laminate. Aside from how beautiful it looked I also noticed my house no longer smelled doggy. We are getting ready to have carpet installed on the stairs and the one bedroom on the ground floor which sits on a concrete slab (tile or laminate would never do down there with our cold Alaskan winters). Aside from getting it professionally cleaned a few times a year, any advice on how to keep our carpet smelling fresh?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Honestly? I'd gate that room off. Our three go into our room on the first floor, but it has wood floors and the bed is too tall for them to get on. Perfect!

We have wood/tile throughout the house, and even then, if I don't wash the floors weekly, things start to get a little 'doggy' around here. We also went with leather furniture -- best thing we ever did. A quick swipe with a damp sponge and all the schmootz is gone.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I agree with Aruuu. The alternative is to *not* carpet.

Because of doggy odors and the former owners' leftover kitty litter box smell, I just pulled up all the carpeting out of a tiny room and am left with subflooring over ancient linoleum over ??? (old tile? old wood floors?). I'm not ready to do anything too expensive in this room, so am planning to just use carpet squares for now.

I have two more rooms with carpeting - one ancient carpet, the other new carpet.

Given how disgusting it gets so quickly, I want it all gone. The alternative is to clean it constantly, and I just don't have the patience for that.

The rest of my house is laminate over old wood floors and tile. Easy to clean --- doesn't stink to high heaven!

If Eau de Stinky Doggie :blink: is bothersome for you (like it is for me), either forbid them access to any carpeting by gating as Aruuu suggests - or get rid of it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've already talked about keeping the door shut/gating off the bedroom and will likely go that route. Doing that with the stairs isn't an option though and I'm hoping they won't get too bad since the dogs aren't going to be laying on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts