Basset Hounds Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
ok this doesn't happen very often, but this is human intervention onto Esther's online account. She's home sleeping in the crate. Charlie Brown is across from her in another crate and I've hacked into this account. He is as SWEET as PIE, as is evidenced by the picture posted last night... but he has an AWFUL habit. He will NOT come inside when it's time. He goes out to do his business, and will sometimes edge up the deck steps but when you open the door (or even show up AT the door--it's a glass storm door so he can see) he looks alarmed and runs. We've had to blockade some parts accessing behind the backhouse b/c he'd run and hide back there. You go out to get him and he runs from you. Any advice on this would be appreciated. A coworker has suggested tethering them together, as he seems to trust Esther quite a bit. This seems logical (it's a caesar milan tactic apparently) and we are going to give that a shot this evening. But it's been quite frustrating, as it's been wet and muddy since we got him... so you can imagine getting ready for work and being late and having to chase him all over the yard trying to leash him to walk him back inside has been a little on the inconvenient side. We realize this is all new and he's still really timid but we want to help him overcome this and do it the right way. (btw we've taken him out on the leash but he refuses to do his business while leashed... have had others be like that so not so surprised there...)

HELP! I now return the online account back to our girl, in whose capable paws it should be entrusted anyway... thanks for listening!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
hasn't worked thus far. wouldn't even open his mouth for one while outside but gobbled it up when he was coerced back in. *sigh*
he's nervous

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I like the tethering idea. Winston often refuses to come in when I need him to. He is on a leash, as our yard is not fenced. When he was small, I could scoop him up and carry him up the steps. Now, not so much, and he is wise to me...he growls and grabs my wrist with his mouth (grabs...no biting down) when I try to lead him by the collar. But if Molly is outside, as soon as she goes up the steps he is right behind her. Anything she does, he must do. Take advantage of that if Charlie is the same way with Esther.

You can get a leash splitter at Petsmart. Good luck. He'll get there...it's all so new to him. Esther, give your brother a good talking-to about this.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Foxhunt clubs use tethers with new dogs. It works great. They use very sturdy leather things. I don't know where you get them, but I would go with something that is very tough.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Find a horse shop and get a trailer tie up. Its a bungee cord with a clip at either end, usually only a couple of feet long and clip it to each ones harness. Alternativly we have turned the dogs loose with a long lead attached so that even if you cannot get the dog you can get the leash then no chasing or drama is involved

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
well, I have to say that I'm liking this new brother of mine. He's really nice and really warm to lay up against. He's like ALL ABOUT this huminz bed thingie. That's where he likes to go after they wrangle him back inside... He likes him some couch too but he'd been on one of those before. The big people bed is new for him and he doesn't much like leaving it. 'specially like the spot where he human used to sleep. he's still all nervous nellie about stuff and doesn't understand that coming back inside is a good thing (they've been using that extend-a-lead deal to let him do his bidness till he learns to come--treats dont work) but I think he's learning. I try SO HARD to get him to play. I jump at his neck and woof at him. Nothin'. We'll work on that. But he's so nice to me--gentle and super tolerant--and is gonna' be a wonderful brother methinks. more later. check out the new avatar featuring us both!
~E

101 - 112 of 112 Posts