Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another thread but decided it needed it's own

We had a Christmas party on the 22nd of December and I decided to keep the dogs out to socialize. So many of my clients and friends have heard so much about them but never have actually met them. So I scrubbed them and dressed them up in fancy little jingle bell collars and let them "party" with us that night.

At some point, I believe someone gave Belvedere something that was a no-no. I know he didn't "get into something" because everything was out of reach and I had someone picking up plates if they were left lying around. I am not sure if it was beer or wine or just something with spices.

He had diahrreah (sp) so bad that it was causing him pain ~back there~. He kept his tail tucked, which is how I noticed something was wrong, and just looked miserable and sore. Lots of trips outside during the night. This lasted about 24 hours. He didn't get dehydrated and didn't vomit so I just kept him close to me and watched him. He had tummy troubles up until the day I was leaving for Tampa. I had my petsitter keep a close eye on him but he was on the mend by then.

I was so mad :angry: I am still trying to figure out who did this and what he was given. Just keep an eye on your babies if you have people over for New Year's Eve or Superbowl !! Some people think it's cute to give dogs inappropriate things.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A friend's basset had a similar, unfortunate experience at some waddle or other--the poor dog got pancreatitis and was quite ill. :angry: If your dogs will be associating with the public, keep a close eye on the dogs and a hairy eyeball on everyone else. <_<

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting closer to the truth <_< We've heard rumor that my neighbors gave him some cheese. Probably the Jalapeno cubes. I had several kinds on a tray with crackers.

We're going over to their house for New Year's Eve. I'm going to casually ask a few questions and see if anyone confesses. I will seize the opportunity to educate them on health and safety of animals.

PS I told my husband next time their kids come over I'm going to give them a big glass of Coca Cola and some sugary candy before sending them home. Maybe even a Red Bull ...

(Juuuuuust kidding ...)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
People just don't get it. I once caught some guests of a neighbor giving Sadie & Spencer beer. The little lushes were lapping it up until I put a stop to it. Another time Sadie had vomiting & diarrhea for a couple days. I was just about to call the vet when I caught the kid next door feeding her whole apples off their tree. I later found out that while the apple flesh is not harmful, the seeds, stems & leaves are.

I like the idea of Red Bull for the kid!! ;) (LOL)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am very vocal with any guests we ever have over that the dogs absolutely do not get anything that is meant for humans. I explain that no matter how cute or sad they look that is a non negotiable. I do know that my mom's friend likes to try to sneak my dogs stuff...but I am very vocal to her that it is absolutely not allowed. So far we've done good...that's not to say they don't accidentally get stuff every once in a blue moon...but we are careful as we can be. My mom's same friend too has a Basset and should know better since her Basset had to be rushed to the er after eating pizza crust...

~Heather

·
Registered
782 Posts
When I was young we had a sweet little mixed breed named Fleagle who LOVED beer. She got a taste of it at an outdoor wedding, we caught her knocking over beer cans and drinking as it came out! For the rest of her life, whenever she'd smell beer or hear a can being opened she'd come running.
I learned the hard way when Francis was a pup and I caught a toddler at a party feeding him some tail-on shrimp. Boy was that little dog sick, two vet visits and a new rug!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts