Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/glossary/screening-scheme.aspx?breed=1003&id=BVA%2fKC%2fISDS+Gonioscopy&ReturnUrl=%2fservices%2fpublic%2fbreed%2fhealth.aspx%3fid%3d1003

Rather than have a pass/fail for the gonioscopy test, a new grading system has been introduced. If this loads, and if you are interested, click on the information for breeders at the end of the KC article. I have concerns that those hounds who previously failed under the original goniscopy test, may, with the new grading system, have been given a 2, just failed score meaning they could have been used for breeding still. It also bothers me that whereas I thought the gonio. test was a once only test, the KC is now saying hounds should be tested from puppy, then at age 4 and again at around 7 years. So that suggests that a hound could later be given a high grading when this could be age-related deterioration.

Bottom line - nice little earner for vets? And it begs the question - how many hounds are failed and removed from a breeding programme, leaving hounds with 'perfect' eyes, but with ??? other construction faults to pass on. Baby out with the bathwater? And I wonder whether there is any research going on to see how many hounds who fail (or now have a high grading) actually go on to develop glaucoma!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts