Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our pup is really starting to scratch alot, fleas would be my best guess. So it's time we got something to help him out, but I'm clueless on what the best choice is for treatment. I found a chart on the top 3 flea and tick treatments (below), but they all have their advantages/disadvantages. So I guess my question is, which do you use/reccomend?

Kill Fleas - All
Kill Flea Eggs & Larvae - Frontline Plus Only, the rest only kill larvae
Stops Flea Development - Frontline Plus Only
Repels Fleas - Advantix and Advantage Only
Kills Ticks - All except Advantix
Repels Ticks - Only Advantage
Kills and repels Mosquitoes - Only Advantix

M

·
0 Posts
I use Revolution for my kids. It is a topical solution you apply to the back of the neck like the others. I treats heartworm, fleas & ticks. I used it for Maggie Mae and it worked fine. Your Vet can guide you on this. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yes, check with your vet. I know there are some tick meds you can't use if you have cats in the house--they are dangerous if the cat even comes in contact with them. And, even though they are offered on-line and in Pet stores, I find that my vet has comparable prices.
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
We used Revolution for the first three years we had Moe and I was satisfied... until he tested positive for Lyme disease at his yearly check-up. Our vet said that Revolution worked on fleas and other parasites very effectively but that it was NOT working as well as first thought on ticks. She recommended the use of another topical preventative for ticks. Seeing no point in using two preventatives, we switched back to Frontline. We've had no trouble since.

Terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts