Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Chloe in for her annual check-up and she had gained a few pounds (just like her mother). She doesn't get a lot of food per the vet's instructions -- a little more than two cups a day, plus treats (well, NOT just like her mother). The vet asked me, "Has she seemed depressed or extra sleepy?" I just kind of raised my eyebrow and she answered her own question, "Oh, it is probably hard to tell -- she is a Basset and she is 10 1/2 years old!" Come to thnk of it, she has been taking a lot of naps lately...

I had her tested for hypothyroidism and she tested positive (just like her mother). The vet tech didn't take the bait when I asked if I could just share medicine with Chloe -- mine is cheaper and I bet it is the same stuff! :roll:

It was a rough vet check-up for Chloe in general. Her seasonal allergies are acting up -- she had a secondary eye infection from all the irritation and one of her ears was all gunky. Poor thing! We battle it every year in the spring.

She goes in for a re-check in a month. I hope the medicine helps her feel better (Just like her mother). Maybe I can actually feed her a normal amount of food! Colleen

M

·
0 Posts
Poor Chloe! Maggie Mae had thyroid disease for 14 years! She took Soloxine, the brand name drug. Human thryoid medicine is NOT the same as human. I asked that same question initially. I got her's from Drs. Foster & Smith. They had fabulous prices. I use to get 250 at a time, the price was very inexpensive for her dosage, 2.5 mg. I "think" the higher the dose, the more $. Ask your Vet for a prescription and order from them. They were significantly cheaper than MM's Vet.

I did have her bloods repeated after several weeks on that dosage to make sure it was the proper dosage. So, I wouldn't get it from mail order till her levels are stabilized.

I also had her T4, thyroid bloods run every year during her physical just to make sure she didn't get immuned to that dosage. She never had any bad effects from the disease or the drug. She got thyroid disease at one year of age and lived to be over 15 years old!

Hope your girl is feeling better with the other stuff.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I love the sleep mask! :D

Ruby is like her daddy in that they have hair on their chests and have brown eyes. They both burp and snore (which of course I NEVER do....ha!) :wink:

Ruby is like me in that she and I have bad arthritic conditions. We both nap a lot. :D And we both like to communicate with each other. I honestly understand her and vice versa. :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts