Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bassett hound about 3 weeks ago. Need some advice. I work all day, so does my wife. So far he's only gone in his crate once, so he seems to understand the concept of not "going" where he sleeps. He's stubborn, as expected. Sleeps through the night till about 5 a.m. Any thoughts about when to feed, etc. with me working all day and my wife working all day?

A

·
0 Posts
I found that an automatic feeder works real good. I got mine through Drs. Foster and Smith. You fill the holding tank with kibble and then set the timer to when you want Waylon to feed and it automatically turns off so that he would not get too much. It takes a wee bit of trial and error to get it just right. Abby is able to tell time now. She lies near the kitchen staring at her bowl at 4:15 p.m, knowing that in 15 minutes her food will be available. However, we have her on a special homemade diet due to liver problems, but she still knows that at 4:30 she gets her evening meal. Good luck and congrats on a new baby.
Marie Paul

·
Registered
773 Posts
How old is Waylon? If he's a very small pup, you can't expect him to hold it all day.....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Take him out at regular intervals, like every two hours. Also take him out after he eats, sleeps, or plays. And get a good cleaner for accidents! He'll be able to smell the places where he's gone and keep going there because of that smell. PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE when he does go outside and offer a special treat. Remember above all, be patient, it will take time.
I feed my boys twice a day, due to fear of bloat. They get breakfast and supper! Just feed 1/2 the recommended amount each time.
Best of luck and congrats on the new puppy!
Edited to add: Love the name by the way!

[ January 17, 2006, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: lnrider ]

A

·
0 Posts
Jasmine is 7.5 months now and is only just now able to make it through the day while we're at work, and it's not yet consistent. For the first 6 months we had someone stop in and sit with her for about half an hour at mid day. I don't know if that's an option for you, but you may want to look into it. Other than that, as has already been said, when you are home, be sure to take him out at regular intervals. Additionally, you may look into the training pads. Jasmine used to wee around them, and then play with the pad. She never quite got the hang of them, but I know they work for some. Good luck, and hope to see some pics of the fluffy pup soon!

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's what we did with Beauregard when we got him. We took him out religiously after playing, eating, sleeping. Whether he wanted to or not. And he trained fairly easily. I found those weewee pads didn't work, either.

It may be a little difficult with both you and your wife working. But I supposed others have been in your situation and managed, so you can too. Congrats on the new puppy!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Welcome to Nafenisr and Waylon!

Some say they will last for as many hours as they are old in months. They will probably not be able to cope with a full work day until 8-9 months old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts