Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in this very recent thread:

http://www.heatherweb.com/cyberhound/board...?showtopic=4317

I just adopted a second Basset. Wally my male Basset is neutered and Luna the new female is intact. I intend to get her operated ASAP, hopefully Monday. I am in the first hours of getting Luna. Luna is much smaller and Wally seems to be sexually agressive with her and I have not been able to leave him unrestrained with her. He did the usual smelling but seemed to start to try and mount her which I stopped right away. She is not used to other dogs and is somewhat afraid of him and has snarled at him a few times when I have allowed him to get close. I am fairly confident that she will get used to him over time. I have had them within a few feet of each other unrestrained but with us sitting next to both. Wally is fairly obedient when I till him to stay. I did not not think my neutered male would want to mount her like this. All my previous dogs were males and sole dogs in the household so I don't have much experience with this situation. The previous owners told us that they think that she is not due for her period until the end of the month. Is the fact that she is still intact and just prior to her period a key factor that Wally, although neutered, is so excited by her? Onced fixed will Wally get past this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd bet good money that this has nothing to do with sex, and everything to do with dominance.
Murray's place in the household is threatened right now (in his doggy mind), and he is literally trying to show Luna he is Top Dog.

Our story, short as possible. I have 2, Dudley and Minnie, both rescues. Got Dudley first, Minnie 1.5 years later.
The day we got Minnie, we did intros away from the house so they met on neutral ground. That way Duds did not meet her as an invader of his domain. After we came home, I stayed with them as much as possible, had to break them up a couple of times. They definitely had to work out some things between them. Outside, I thought they were gonna kill each other a few times, but when I broke it up, there was no blood. Poor Duds had some pretty sore ears for a couple weeks though, Minnie fought kinda dirty. There was a lot of humping, both ways. The neighbors got quite a kick out of it.

Others here are far more expert than I, so please take this with a grain of salt:
Let them work it out, closely supervised. Outdoors is definitely best, garden hose or a bucket of water at the ready if you need to break them up. Mine always stopped when I clapped my hands and shouted, but I was ready to spray them if that didn't work. I also fed them in separate rooms for a couple of months to avoid any food aggression.

I hope the more experienced folks will chime in here soon. I'm not positive I gave you the best advice, but that's what worked for me.
Best of luck JT, were pullin' for ya!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Corvuss is right--a lot of that mounting is more about sorting out hierarchy. However, the bitch may also be coming in season early (they're not always regular like clockwork), and your dog may be responding to that. Even neutered dogs are capable of performing the act, but they're not capable of actually producing puppies.

You might want to have her seen by your vet and spayed before she comes into season, because you'll have a good month of headaches if you wait and she comes into season on schedule. There will be issues with your current dog and the neighbors' dogs. The discharge also makes a mess. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I intend to call the vet in the morning to schedule the procedure. I have been out of the house most of the day but I just got home. According to my wife and kids both dogs have been able to be in the same room under supervision and they even slept on the same couch. actually a love seat which is even smaller. He still makes his attempts but Luna growls at him and shows her teeth and has snapped at him. She is defending herself fairly well but you can see she is scared after the situation is over. Both dogs are roaming freely closely monitored but unrestrained. I really hope this is something that will be over soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update. Luna and Wally seems to be getting along much better. They seem to be playing now and can be left unsupervised without too much concern. I am still working on the spaying but my schedule has been quite hectic.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Some vets won't spay a bitch in season, so if you delay too long, you might be stuck. You might want to double check with your vet about this. It'd be too bad to have hormones set back the progress they've made toward friendship.

·
Registered
284 Posts
our vet suggested not to spay until three months after a season. he said if you do it just before she may think its coming but then it doesnt so she thinks she is pregnant and will have a phantom pregnancy and this can be extreemly distressing for her. :eek:

i dont know if anyone has any views on this? just thought i'd say what we've been told by the supposed 'experts'! :unsure:

Clare

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for everyone's comments. I dropped off Luna this AM to get spayed. I felt badly seeing her carried off by the vet tech as she had the brakes on and would not walk with him. I will be picking her on this evening. The vet was recommended by a local dog rescue lady who said this one is one of the only two vets she trusts in town. Wally and Luna have been bonding more and more. Wally still gets frisky on occasion but it is not too bad. This morning they were playing tug-of-war with a pair of socks we tied together and gave to them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm glad you're getting her spayed. But we'll send drool for her - poo thing will probably be disorientated for a day or two.

Great news that she & Wally are getting along. But not too surprising since bassets are so social.

Enjoy them all you can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked Luna back up and of course she is not too happy. I took her around the grass at the vet to see if she wanted to do anything and she did not. The vet I chose is a minimum of 20 minutes drive from my house. I am watching her and petting her softly and as soon as get on the highway I see that look on her face and I knew. She threw up on my center console and drivers side floor. Then again on the passenger side floor a few seconds later. Understandable I know after the surgery and anesthesia. Luckliy I had a T-shirt in reasonably handy in the car that I was able to clean up the bulk of the mess. She drank water at home and threw that up a few minutes later. She has wanted to go in the back yard twice to do her business and threw up again the second time as she had drank water again just prior. Apparently she can't keep it down for now. I imagine that will go away by tomorrow. I am keeping her in the bedroom away from Wally for a while. Wally is farly obedient and stays away from her when I tell him.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Bless her heart, I am sure she will feel better tomorrow. Dolly and Tillie both threw up terrible after their spays but Patty and Nellie did lots better. I guess it just depends on the dog. Sending lots of drool for your girl.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Wishing Luna a speedy recovery. :) Sounds like quite a ride home. :eek:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Poor Luna, sending lots of healing drool her way! Sounds like they are starting to get along well - that's great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the well wishes.

Luna was throwing up anything she drank through this morning. It as only after 11AM today that she has started to retain any fluids and she has only eaten a small amount. Wally seems to be aware something is not right with her and he has been careful not to disturb her too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts