Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after losing Benny back in March it was a tough decision to bring home a new baby, but we did it. He was abused, so I have a few questions. Here is what I know. He was thrown over a fence and a lady found him during a rain storm shaking and scared in the back corner of her property. She had him for about 3 days before she gave him to a shelter which is where I found him. He has a few noticeable signs of abuse. At some point in his life, his collar had been embedded in his throat. He has the scars from the collar, but they are totally healed up and look good. It is possible that his snout had been taped because there is a small scar which is also healed. I also think his back legs and/or hind quarters were possibly hurt when he was thrown over he fence. I say that because his legs do not quite bend like they should when he walks. I was told from the shelter that he is between 3-4 years old. He has a microchip. The shelter contacted the microchip owner and he claimed "the dog was stolen from him about 3 years ago and he no longer wanted him back." So with all that said......... I have named him Riley! He is about 40 pounds. He has a beautiful coat, teeth, ears, paws etc. He is neutered. He is a bundle of love and he is a total snuggler. I am confused that he has clear signs of abuse, but yet he seems so spoiled. He has obviously had 2 owners, but if so, why would the people who spoiled him throw him away like they did??. The night I brought him home, I let him lay next to me on my bed. He managed to get under the covers and he got so close to me I could barely turn over!! He has a great appetite and hes totally housebroken. I love him already. How can he be so loving and forgiving to a human? I can't wait to post some pics!! Does anyone know how I can get a better idea of his age? He is getting along sooo good with Daisy. I am feeding them in separate bowls but Daisy is a little protective over her food and treats. What is the best way to deal with the feeding situation? Daisy snaps at him sometimes, but I guess that is normal for her to let him know that she is the alpha in the house. He was checked out and given his shots and heartworm at the shelter, but tonight he is sneezing and his eyes are just a little runny? what could be causing that? Sorry this is so long, but I am so glad that I have him. I needed him as much as he needed me. Thanks- Bev

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oh you are a hero, thanks for giving him another shot at life. I know a vet can give you an age estimate as well as could tell you about the sneezing and runny eyes. Feeding...I know some people on here feed in separate rooms or at least separate sides of the room (my dog's bowls are on separate sides of the fridge, this works well for us). As far as the being abused, but still so loving...some dogs just have good souls. Sometimes I think they know when they've been rescued, at least my boy acts as if he knows that we saved him. So happy that he's found you and can't wait to see pics and hear about how he's doing with your family.

~Heather

·
Registered
973 Posts
He sounds a lot like Anabelle. She went through some rough times too yet is so affectionate. It's really quite confusing and I think it's a testament to how great the dogs are that they can forgive like that.

Thanks for giving him a home. He will have a great happy life now with you.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I would think that the microchip registry would have the information such as his age and possibly his breeder?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not sure I can read about what happened to your poor dog as I can't for the life of me understand how anybody can be cruel to dog, even more so if it is the most docile breed of all.... a Basset Hound.

Thank goodness he has a loving home with you and that you have a lot of patience to give him time to know he is staying with you as there's bound to be some teething problems.

Re the feeding, my dogs eat at different speeds so one eats out in the hall, outside the kitchen door and two are in opposite corners of the kitchen as Lottie woofs down her food then tries to eat Lucie's too and Lucie eats like a lady!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
We like to feed our dogs in separate rooms. Yogi eats in the kitchen and Gunny eats in the living room. We put gates up so they can both eat in peace. I don't think there would be any issues between them but I like for them to be able to eat at their own pace and not have any stress while eating.
Possibly Riley could have allergies? I would take him to the vet for a through check up just to be sure.
So sad how people can hurt dogs like that.:( I'm glad that you can give him a good home now.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Dogs can pickup infections in shelters so I'd have a vet check out the sneezing and runny eyes- he sounds like a wonderful dog, and lucky he found you!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I had to feed my two in separate rooms as well. Stomps ate very slowly and Lightning inhaled his. Then of course L would go after Stomps' food and horrible fights would erupt. They never worked it out between themselves, hence the separation. Other than that they got along very well. Congrats on the new dog. He will blossom now that he's got someone to really love him.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sometimes I think they know when they've been rescued, at least my boy acts as if he knows that we saved him.
This is so true! I have a little Chihuahua mix I rescued and she clung to me from the moment I pulled her out of the cage at the shelter. She is so incredibly committed to me, and I know she was neglected horribly before we got her, the poor thing was so emaciated you could see every bone in her body and this when she was nearly full term with two puppies.

I am so proud and touched by your story, it brought tears to my eyes. Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
The most common cause of sneezing and runny noses this time of year is allergies however most dog manifest allergies with itching as well. but this is nost not all. Fisher my harrier does not react to allergies with itching it is always the more classic human type symptoms.

Daisy is a little protective over her food and treats. What is the best way to deal with the feeding situation? Daisy snaps at him sometimes, but I guess that is normal for her to let him know that she is the alpha in the house
The concept of the Alpha dog is archane human construct that in the end does more harm than good in describing dog v dog and dog v human relationships. The behavior Daisy is showing is known as Resource guarding. It is a normal dog behavior, but by normal I do not mean to say it is aceptable. In most cases however most tend to ignore resource guarding when it is dog v dog but intervene when it is dog v Human. So the thing is could you remove Daisey food bowl while she is eating from it with out her growling snaping etc. If not You may want to work on that See The links below if You do.

Feed in seperate rooms is on management technique but not my favorite becuase it requires more work long term than what I will describe below which requires more intial training but it becomes easier after that.

One you must train the dog to either is sit or down stay in a particular spot while preparing their meals.

General on is a faster eater than the other feed that one last , and don't concern yourself with supporting the alpha. The one that is fed last is to remain in their postion and not move. Train the dogs to remain at their own food bowl by either hold out some kibble and dropping it in as they finish, or some other treat.

also think his back legs and/or hind quarters were possibly hurt when he was thrown over he fence. I say that because his legs do not quite bend like they should when he walks.
It might be worth investigate, bassets a more predisoposed to petallar lucation ( slip knee cap) than other breeds. This can cause an abnormal gate. It can be corrected surgically but whether to bother outcomes etc are based on the severity of the luxation and any arthrtis or othe problem that also has occured.

The best resourse on Resource guarding is Jean Donaldson's MINE! - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO RESOURCE GUARDING IN DOGS
A fair review can be found here

Food bowl Exercises

Assessment and Treatment of Resource Guarding
FALLACIES ABOUT RESOURCE GUARDING...

4. It is a symptom of dominance.

This fallacy is largely a legacy of the pervasiveness of social hierarchy models as explanation for dog behavior, as well as springboards for treatment techniques. Most dog owners have sketchy, if any, understanding of the most basic techniques of operant and classical conditioning. Yet, virtually all owners throw around the word “dominance” with abandon. Rank as the reason for resource guarding has also provided

decades of quasi-justification for the use of aversives in training. In actuality, resource guarding responds well to desensitization, counterconditioning, and well executed operant techniques, which raises questions about dominance:​

• When the dog stops guarding, has he become less dominant as a result of the desensitization and counterconditioning? If so, by what mechanism?​

• Is rank, therefore, not a fixed trait? If not, can one still say a dog is a “dominant” dog?​

• If dominance is a relationship rather than a trait, how could simple desensitization/​

counterconditioning exercises change the relationship? The behaviorist paradigm provides a much simpler way to describe post-treatment behavior. That is, rather than expending energy on why the behavior exists, the behaviorist concentrates on changing the behavior.​

Puppy Handling and Food Bowl Exercises – Preventing Problems

Guarding Valued Objects

The Food Bowl Game

Sorry this is so long,

It is not a long post unless it takes up the entire page.​

·
Registered
782 Posts
Franny and I met a sweet, adorable rescue golden mix at the park today who was an abuse rescue also and she was a snugglebunny. Absolutely lovely and when I made a sudden move after Ol' Nosy almost fell in the river the poor dog just skittered away. I almost cried. People can really rot, you know? If they abuse animals they also abuse other things.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am so glad to hear that Riley now has a new and loving home!! He is so lucky!!

I don't understand how people can do that to an animal espcially a animal they are suppose to love and care about!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am still working on getting some pictures online... my pc has been broken for a few weeks and using my laptop is a hassle for pictures. Riley is doing sooo good. The sneezing has stopped and overall he appears to be a perfect little gentleman!! He loves everyone, loves to walk and play and snuggle. It is amazing how much joy this little guy has brought to my life after losing my Benny 6 months ago. His ability to overcome his own prior trauma is helping me to move forward and find happiness again. I had no idea how much grief I was feeling until I got Riley. I am truly thankful for him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts