Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a Dog
From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a person." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog" just smile, because they "just don't understand."

Author Unknown

·
Registered
714 Posts
BRAVO!!!

Thanks for posting that. I totally agree, Neither Dudley or Minnie are "just dogs" in our house.

Dudley, in particular, is one of the best friends I've ever had. When I got him from rescue I thought I was doing a nice thing for "a dog." It turns out he has done more for me than I could ever do for him.

He taught me about compassion.
He taught me the meaning of patience.
He taught me a lot about accepting others for what they are, not what I think they should be (dogs and people).
He taught me about the true meaning of unconditional love.

In short, Dudley has made me a better person.

"Just a Dog?" Never.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hail Comrade,

Slinky is the first dog I have every owned. My mother does not appreciate animals.

I can say, that Slinky has provided me with wonderful companionship, I honestly don't know what I would do without her.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I know a lot of people that think so, but everybody here does not!

It's like "He came to his own, and his own received him not" -
but opposite! :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks for posting it.
Some human are "just human" to me, but ALL dogs aren't "just dogs."

·
Registered
125 Posts
Opus is more that 'just a dog' to me too. He is my constant companion. I've talked to him all day long for almost ten years, he has travelled from one end of the continent to the other with me, he has lived in apartments, houses, Ireland, Spain, by the beach and in the city. I tend to him now that he is older, my patience with him goes beyond all others. I would never let anyone else away with the stuff I let this old boy away with. When my teenage daughter accuses me of loving him more than anyone in the house, I laugh-it's not true obviously- but I see where she is coming from.
I feed him treats I know he should not have, I bring him places dogs are not always allowed and I defy anyone to stop me. I play hide and go seek long after I am bored with it, I scratch his ears/belly long after my arms are tired. I bathe him, clean his ears, put drops in his eyes, I change his duvet ever week on time and buy him a bone every Saturday because I love him. He's not a person, but he is more loyal than most people, he doesn't understand English, but he understands me better than most people, he cannot tell me how he feels, but I understand what he wants/feels/needs at a glance.
I've had other dogs, cleverer dogs, braver dogs, funnier dogs, fitter dogs, but I've never had a dog that I have loved more than Opus, and for that I am thankful, and when the day comes that this snoozing, drooling, slobbery, waterbottle eating, shedding , smelly, stubborn, cat loving, husky hating, donut/cheese/toast/pasta scoffing, four legged buddy passes away I shall grieve for him like any member of my family and I feel blessed to know that every person on this site will understand what I'm going through.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this. Our "just a dog" that we lost to cancer in December was so much more to us than "just a dog". Being empty nesters for the first time, Bubba became our "fur kid". He was our constant companion who traveled with us; spent nights in motels and in the homes of family members we visited; was our best camping buddy, friend, confidant; the clown who kept us laughing; and the driving force that kept us walking and enjoying being outside each day.
He not only brought us joy, but was loved by the families in our neighborhood. Kids would knock on our door and ask if Bubba could come out, so they could rub his ears and lay in the sun beside him. He always brought smiles to campers at the campground when he trotted beside us with those ears flapping in the wind, tail wagging, and nose sniffing the ground. He was such a gentle soul, who loved everyone, and we still deeply miss him.
Several people couldn't believe we slept on the floor beside him when he was so ill and couldn't climb the stairs to the bedroom anymore. They said "It's just a dog!", but they didn't understand. Yes, we mourned him like a family member when we lost him. Yes, he was "just a dog", but so much more that only other Basset lovers could understand.
Now we have Bogie, and he has become our "fur kid", too. He's not "just a dog" but a member of our family.

Aroooos from Bogie!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is NO such thing as "just" a dog. A creature who is never too busy or too tired or too out of sorts to run to greet you, who loves you no matter how you look or what kind of mood you're in, who cares not a whit if you're rich or successful or beautiful (or not), but wants only to be near you and spend time with you ... how can that be "just" a dog? There's a good reason for the saying that "dog" is "God" spelled backward. I firmly believe that dogs are God's way of showing us what "unconditional love" looks like.

B

·
0 Posts
Well said. Only animal people seem to understand this. My girl friend doesn't understand why I gush over Byron...but then again, I can't quite get the attration for her favorite topic: dirty dipers and teething. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts