Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There! I have a wonderful Basset named Butch. He is always so glad to see me. The thing is, he jumps up on me and family members. Sometimes I think he misses me so much. I know Bassets like to be around other people. I am constantly telling him to stay "down". Most of the time he does but sometimes after a rain he will have Ga. dirt on his feet and it gets on my clothes. Is there an easier way to train him to stay down? I know Bassets are short dogs...If you have some tips I am "all ears". Oh, and he will be 2 in October.

M

·
0 Posts
When we got the kids Stickers was a huge jumper. When I came home she would run to me and immediately jump on me. I would ignore her, back up so it forced her off of me and say in a very stern voice "OFF". When she got off I would put her into a sit and THEN pet her. I did this for awhile until she learned that was the only way she would get the attention she wanted. Now, I am proud to say she does that when she meets everyone! People comment on how well she greets them! Repetition and patience. This took probably one month many many times a day! Good Luck! The trick is to be more stubborn than your Basset Hound!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Off is what we're saying and we constantly remind him that bassets keep all four paws on the ground.

It works about 60% of the time. Ernest tends to jump when he's tired and wound, usually before dinner.

I agree, you have to be consistent in saying it.

lala

·
Registered
797 Posts
You could also try grabbing his feet and squeezing -- do not let go -- make him stand there. Jumping up then becomes an uncomfortable thing to do. Only after he shows that he doesn't like it and has been forced to endure it for some time do you let him go.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Jumping is a simple enough habit to get control of.

Moe had almost every bad habit a dog could have when we found him. We used a combination of Click-and-Treat Training, repetitive commands and treats, Bitter Apple Spray, pennies-in-a-soda-can, and ingnoring him to turn him into the fine, well-trained :wink: Basset he is today.

I was working on his jumping habit (among other things) using mostly Bitter Apple Spray - if he looked about to jump I'd show him the bottle (by that time with us he knew what the bottle was and just showing it most times would make him re-think what he was about to do). More often than not, he'd decide not to jump but there were times when he was so excited he'd do it anyway. If he did, a quick spray in his direction would would work (not in the face - I'd aim lower so he could get the smell and taste of it but it wouldn't get into his eyes). Once he jumped onto a neighbor who promptly stepped on his rear toes and said "DOWN"... and down he went. He didn't stomp on his toes - he just applied pressure enough to make him want to get down on all fours again. Along those lines, another time Moe jumped up on someone else and this person kneed Moe in the chest (gently but firmly) and Moe went back down on all fours. Both methods worked very well - I was amazed at how quickly Moe complied. When my son (then nine years old) had friends over, Moe would get very excited and try to jump on these small boys. Bassets are very tall when they jump up so these boys would be knocked down - Moe was taller than they were. If I wasn't close by but near enough to see I'd grab the soda can with pennies in it (we had one in every room) and toss it near him. The racket it made got Moe down in a hurry.

Many things work - try the different things we all suggest and keep what works for you. Good luck!

Terry

J

·
0 Posts
After reading the book The Dog Listener (hope I'm getting the title correct), we started doing what she recommended: when the dog jumps up, take one or two steps back. I kid you not, we did this only a handful of times with Molly and for over a year, she has not jumped up on a single person. After we started it, we told every person who came in our house to do the same if she jumped up on them. Worked 100% of the time.
Our Lab has never jumped up on people as a rule, only Molly...
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
During Pogi's Class the instructor told us to tun around once he jumps. Each time he tries to jump turn around. Since doing that he hasn't jumped has much

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
instead of a long post on what work and doesn't just a few quick notes and a link.

Dogs jump for one simple reason, they are rewarded for it. Dogs don't jump because they are not rewarded for it. What the dog finds rewarding is not always what you think it is. Telling a dog not to jump if the reason a dog is jumping is to get your attention, is actually rewarding the dog for the behavior. So the basic idea is. Since jumping and any other behavior that occurs when the dog gets excited is usually an attention seeking behavior, do not reward the dog for it. Turn your back, walk away. do not make eye contact, do not talk to the dog. When the dog has four feet on the ground, pet, praise talk to the dog. Dogs do not generalize well if they are alouded to jump on one person they will always jump on that person regardless of the training with others. It is important that all household members and guest follow the same training method.

Quick Fix for a Jumping Dog

The other thing to note Jumping up is often just one manifestation of a dog that lacks self control when it gets excited. Pulling on lead, racing through an open door are a couple of others. This is a common problem unless the dog is taught self control.

TEACHING SELF CONTROL

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I was working on his jumping habit (among other things) using mostly Bitter Apple Spray - if he looked about to jump I'd show him the bottle (by that time with us he knew what the bottle was and just showing it most times would make him re-think what he was about to do).
Yikes if I had a spray bottle of bitter apple mine would all be lined up looking for there squirt as if it were a treat. The point is not all dogs find same things rewarding or punishing you must know your dog. What it likes and doesn't like.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Exactly! Find the solution that works for your dog and you.

Mike, I heard others say that their dogs actually LIKED Bitter Apple spray, too. Someone even said their dog like cayenne pepper! (used as a deterrent for chewing plants? digging? I don't remember what for) It did work for us, along with click-and-treat, the can trick, ignoring him, treats, praise, and professional help. If you remember, years ago we were were working on a whole host of problems while attempting to mold Moe into a civilized member of our family. Eventually we trained him, and then he trained us - and we've been living quite happily together ever since. I have to admit, also, that you and others on this board had a hand in training ME to be a good dog-owner. Thanks!!

Terry :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
mike, thanks for the link your articles always help I had tried the coins in a can, and Simon thought it was a great toy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts