Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasmine is a social butterfly, who can't seem to comprehend why any person or dog wouldn't want to say 'hi' and play with her. While I think it's great that she's so well socialized, she feels the need to say hello by jumping up on people. Even though most people claim they don't mind, she shouldn't be doing it, and as she's getting quite big, one good jump could easily topple a small child. We've been trying to teach her 'down' from day one, but she either doesn't get or just refuses to obey, as it almost never works. I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations that I might try out.

·
Registered
662 Posts
One thing that I've done with Mocha and Beldin is they have a lead that goes on in the house (if people come over) or if we're out walking thier normal leads.

But if someone wants to pet them or they want to say "hello" I stand on the lead so they have enough room to sit comfortably but not to jump and I say "SIT" sternly - no one touches them til they sit, then they get pets and all sorts of luv.

If they try to jump they can't and I repeat "SIT".

Both dogs know what "sit" is and they know what's expected of them.

After a bit they learned it's much more fun for them if they sit nice they get petted and rubbed and luved.

If they don't they get ignored and no petting.

Most of the time they're pretty good. Seems the only one they have real trouble with is my dad. For some reason his mere presence sends both pups into wiggling, yipping "puppy stance" and sometimes Beldin even piddles on his shoes! :eek:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the book The Dog Listener (I hope I am getting the correct title here). She recommended to step back when the dog jumps up. We did this a few times and they no longer jump up on us. We tell people who come in the house to do the same and they stop immediately.
Hope this helps!
Jennifer

·
Registered
163 Posts
I tried to teach Dozer to stay down when I first got him, but when other people wanted to see him, they let him jump up to see them. It was "cute" when he was small, now these are the same people that complain about my 55 lbs dogs jumping on them.
Plus my dad thought it was cute to let him chew on his hand when he was a pup, now Dozer thinks ripping my arm off is fun.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
The reason dog jump is it gets them the attention they want. So the First step in eliminating the problem is stop rewarding jumping. And yes scolding, yelling etc is attention and actually rewarding the behavior. Dog jumps up turn your back and/or walk away. say nothing. When the dogs feet are on the ground reward the dog. Absecent a behavior like greeting with a sit, down, four feet on the ground, then the dog will find some behavior equally abnoxious as jumping to get your atttention. The secret is not and try and stop jumping but train the dog the behavior/greeting you do want. Think about what that behavior is an consistently reward it and besure not to reward jumping.

As an aside dogs are very go at dicriminating a behavior and poor at generalizing it. What does this mean. In the case of jumping if you are the only one not to reward jumping, and you reward sitting exclusively. Guess what the dog sit when greeting you and jumps on everyone else. You must incorporate the rest of the family friends and visitor in the training. If you have a freind or relative that just will not cooperate often times it is better to issolate the dog before hand rather than destroy the progress that has been made.

for more detailed info see:

Quick Fix for a Jumping Dog

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all of the great advice. I will definitely get to work on reforming our habits so Jasmine learns what behavior is acceptable and what isn't. I would hate for any of her bad habits (our fault, of course) to ever cause anyone to see her as anything other than the sweetie she is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts