Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after the loss of our beloved Basset,:( Buddy, we decided to go with another Basset Hound. We named her Daisy. Problem is, Buddy was at least a year old when we got her, so having a new Basset puppy was new for us. Daisy is now 6 months old, and jumps on all of our guests and scratches people, and I am not sure how to get her to stop!:eek::confused:
Any suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated!:D We finally got through the potty training. My husband said he wanted an obstinate dog just like Buddy...well he got one!! lol

Thanks!
Rhonda72

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
With bassets in particular, you have to find out what drives them and use that to your advantage. Is Daisy food driven? If so, keep a bag of treats near your front door (up high!) so that when guests come in they tell her to sit then reward her when she does. Eventually you don't have to give her the treats. My neighbor's dog is not food driven and was a big jumper. She craves attention, so I taught her that when she comes to me, she will only get attention if she is sitting. In that case your body language is key. Stand up tall with your chest out. Don't hold your hands out at the dog if she jumps, and look straight ahead. Be the boss. It might be hard to get your guests to do this, but they can try turning away from her if she jumps on them. Lightning was a jumper, but now he's 13. So if all else fails, wait until she's about 10 and she'll probably stop. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
At least Daisy isn't also humping people. Gandy humped our priest and scared the man half to death. He's hormonally deranged right now.

·
Registered
633 Posts
With bassets in particular, you have to find out what drives them and use that to your advantage. Is Daisy food driven? If so, keep a bag of treats near your front door (up high!) so that when guests come in they tell her to sit then reward her when she does. Eventually you don't have to give her the treats. My neighbor's dog is not food driven and was a big jumper. She craves attention, so I taught her that when she comes to me, she will only get attention if she is sitting. In that case your body language is key. Stand up tall with your chest out. Don't hold your hands out at the dog if she jumps, and look straight ahead. Be the boss. It might be hard to get your guests to do this, but they can try turning away from her if she jumps on them. Lightning was a jumper, but now he's 13. So if all else fails, wait until she's about 10 and she'll probably stop. Good luck!
^^that's what I would do.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
The reason dogs jump etc is because in the past it has been rewarded. It is quite simply an effective atention seeking behavior for the dog. Simply ignoring the behavior is not enough for a variety of reason.

!. extinction burst a penonenom that occurs when extinction ( cause a behavior to end by not rewarding it) is usen a a previously rewarded behavior. The behavior will get worse much worse before it gets better

2. it does not change the emotional state of the dogs desire for attention. If you are successfull in ignoring the behavior and it becoams extinct the dog will eventual come up with an even more obnoxious behavior you can't ignore

the solution as outline above but not full spelled out is to teach the dog a more appropriate behavior. Keeping in mind the excitement level of the dog It is impossible to traine an over stimulated dog. if this is what is happen when quest knock etc. ou need to at first issolate the dog so it can not be rewarded for the jumping behavior and then work on the training later on when it is not overy excited.

Another point I would like to bring up is a "default behavior" i train all the dogs a default behavior which is the one behavior that is so heavly rewarded that when the dog gets fustrated and does not knopw what to do it is the behavior they will look to For most that is a sit me I prefer a down but it does not matter. that is a randoml;y reward the dog through out the day for the behavior with out asking for it dog sitting reward. First this reward a calm behavior over a more frenetic one but when all else fails it is a behavior the dog will default to. BY doing this the dog will sa for instance when Ignoring a jumping up behavior get fustrate it is not work will offer the defaout behavior voila reward and the dog learn quigkly that is how to get what it wants. You need to make the effort to reward this behavior throughout the day in less stressfull environemnts before even consideriang getting such a behavior when greeting quests,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts