Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings an update on Jr.
Just as soon as I said something about how well Jr. was doing he decided to mess in the floor, wet in the floor and when I stuck his nose in it and whacked him with the newspaper he started “licking the pee” off the floor best he could.
I think this is/was his response to the little dog getting to go in the bedroom and being number one. Because of his messing in the house he is becoming an “outside” dog. I made him stay outside all day today and tonight he is being on his best behavior. I think that as he has a problem inside I’ll put him outside for the day and see if he can learn the reason.
I have about got all his wounds fixed from the fighting but his ears are an on going battle. I clean and put drops in them two or three times a week.

He’s sleeping on my feet under the desk as I write this.

OK, so much for the update today, you all take care.

Burr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bassetts, can't live with them can't live without. I had a hard time training mine also. It took about 6 months, finally gave in and started to crate them. We need to remember that bassett are pack animals. They hunt in packs and use the restroom anywhere. All my dogs have hated to be crated at first. But once they see it as there den they always go back to it. Goo :D d luck.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Love the name--I used to have a dog named Jr. Regarding putting him outside all day as punishment for going in the house, dogs really can't put two and two together. It's better if you praise him when he goes outside or if he lets you know he needs to go outside. It took a really, really long time to housetrain my boys, but once they got it, it stuck. Good luck.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My Copper was fairly easy[for a basset] but Patty and Dolly are a little harder especially Dolly. She is 6 months and still has accidents not very often but it does happen occasionally. I agree that the crate training has made it much better because neither of the girls will go in their kennel. Good-luck I am sure he will come around.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Rubbing his nose in it and whacking him with a newspaper is NOT going to teach him anything. Dogs who are not housetrained properly WILL have accidents... and it is YOUR fault he is not trained properly, NOT his. YOU neeed to train him properly and YOU need to give him enough time to learn. Moe took six months to train and continued to have occational accidents for almost a year afterward - all his accidents were MY fault. In the first six months I had to teach him where and when to go and I had to learn his signals that he needed to go. We trained him by constantly taking him outside, on a leash, and saying "go pee, Moe, go pee" over and over and over. When he did go he got a small treat. When he didn't go he did not get his treat and we went back inside. We repeated this every half hour until he DID go. When he did go, after giving his treat we praised him mightily and enthusiasticly. Bassets respond amazingly well with rewards rather than punishment (don't we all?). Moe eventually got to the point where he would pee on command, and seven years later he will STILL pee on command. Also, I had to learn his very subtle signals as to WHEN he needed to go. I found that he was sitting near one of our four exterior doors waitng patiently to be taken out. He did not bark, whine, or otherwise let me know that he needed to go out - he just sat there. I figured this out because I found puddles near whatever door he was sitting near. I began to be aware of where he was at all times. When accidents happened it was because I was not aware of him or because someone didn't let him out every so often. And lastly, give him enough TIME to learn. Our trainer (we had her for a biting issue) told us that it takes up to THREE MONTHS for a behavior to become a 'learned' behavior, and even then there may be occasional setbacks. Be patient and be consistent.

Let up on punishment and try the reward system - you may be pleasently surprised. Good luck.

Terry

B

·
0 Posts
I think I'll find out real quick in the very near future. Just hope at my age I have enough energy to train a puppy <BG> They can be a handful. agree with above posters. rewards not punishment. Don't give up, it will get better. Tummy Boy's Mom. :) .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in the Philippines, our doors are always open until I shut him out.

Glad your dog did so well!

LLL

M

·
0 Posts
Well said Terry! It takes time and PATIENCE to train a Basset. They will test you at any age. I agree you should lighten up a bit and enjoy your pup and maybe the rest will not be such a fight. Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts