Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are th brand new family of Fientje our first ever basset hound.
We read the books and looked everthing up on the internet, but this is the only site where peronal experience is shared!!!! Since there is no club in Belgium really we decided to join this forum.
She is now 10 weeks old and had her two injections (3rd to folow on 12 weeks) She is 6.4 Kilo's and is a English basset hound with the very long cute ears whih we clean every two days. We are raising her on Royal Canin, which is a very good brand in belgium.
We are looking for likeminded people that wouldn't mind sharing their personal experience of their basset hound. We already know a basset is not like a normal dog and each basset is different but still some back-up would be nice!!!!;)
Hoping to hear from all you lovely basset owning people (or people owning basset :lol:)

Greets
Family and Fientje

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello :)

we are also brand new basset parents! We just got our new puppy Bentley last week.

I hope your experience with your new baby is as great as ours... we are enjoying him tremendously. NOW we can even sleep through the night again,lol

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Royal Canin is a good food, so you should be ok there. I wouldn't clean her ears so often, though. Cleaning too often can throw off the natural balance and cause problems. I do mine every 2 weeks and am always very careful not to get water in the ears during a bath or outside play.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome!
We are new basset parents also. Gracie will be 10 weeks on wednesday. I can't believe she's that old already! seems like it's flying by. and she's grown so much since we got her!
Fientje is your bassets name? Please post photos if you don't mind. I would love to see her!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Foto's are on now!!!!! Thanks for all the advice, sounds like you are all having the same fun as we are. I do have to say she is naughty when left alone with my boyfriend!!! She tries him out, with me she plays and sleeps mostly. When I go to work my boyfriend is home and yesterday she managed to pee several times in the house step in the pee and dig out a plant. I was laughing, my boyfriend wasn't ofcourse LOL
How are you new moms treating the howling when she is left alone for a little while? We are trying it minutes at a time, but she howles and yappes...
And also we are trying to do the potty training without a cage (I am against it, boyfriend is for it and I won;))
We also got to a sterlised pre puppy training half hour sunday morning, and she loved it. Sitting is no problem whatsoever, everything else is a bit difficult as yet!!!

Hope to hear from new moms and other moms and dads soon,

Family and Fientje
PS she plays with the cat as if he is a dog and they are good together, cat goes to higher ground when he is sick of it.
Fientje is a female and josefien-Charlotte is her large name, short is indead Fientje

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I am a new basset owner too. I just got Chloe on Friday and she will be 11 weeks on Wednesday. Having a puppy is definitely a lot of work but so worth it.

It will be so neat to watch all the puppies growing up. There seem to be quite a few around the same age. :)

Chloe is crate trained. I have her in the crate at night time. It honestly makes her feel safer to have a little den space. I have only had her for three nights now and she is doing well. The first night she howled for 30 mins, the 2nd night she didn't howl at all and last night she howled for about 10 mins. Then she sleeps for the night. We usually get up at around 6-6:30am. I was told that if you keep going to her if she is whining than it will become habitual as she thinks the whining gets her what she wants.

As for potty training, I take Chloe out every 60-90 mins during the day. It makes for a LOT of pee breaks but than there are no accidents in the house.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Welcome Fientje and Bentley!!!

I am proudly owned by Annie Oakley, she is 6 years old and my first and only Basset. Can't imagine life without her.

Love that we have many new puppies on the forum :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello :)

we are also brand new basset parents! We just got our new puppy Bentley last week.

I hope your experience with your new baby is as great as ours... we are enjoying him tremendously. NOW we can even sleep through the night again,lol
I still wake up once a night, she sleeps on the bed (bad I know, but gives me more night rest cause I feel her moving) twice a night she wakes up at 12 and 6 ish to pee outside and she goes without a fuss, but unfortunately also wakes up without much of a fuss..... My boyfriend sleeps strqight through it, but I wake up...
I am an animal carer for profession, but work as a hotel receptionist.
None of my training prepared me for the specific needs of a basset however :( We ar having much fun learning about it all, but the need to get some feedback sometimes, was getting to us, and we had nowhere to go, but now we have this forum which is sooo much fun!!!!!!;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
we bassets mostly show you how much we love you by making you crazy.
then there's that moment where we'll walk up to you on the couch and lay our heads in your lap and make you melt. then make you crazy again... rinse... repeat...

BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

·
Registered
761 Posts
then there's that moment where we'll walk up to you on the couch and lay our heads in your lap and make you melt. then make you crazy again... rinse... repeat...

This is exactly what is to be loved by a basset hound. Exactly.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
do have to say she is naughty when left alone with my boyfriend!!! She tries him out, with me she plays and sleeps mostly
FWIW is is like the different management styles you two have. The closer the supervision the less problems Us men tend to give puppies to much freedom too soon and pay the price.

·
Registered
184 Posts
FWIW is is like the different management styles you two have. The closer the supervision the less problems Us men tend to give puppies to much freedom too soon and pay the price.
totally agree to that! I came home from working 5 hours today and hubby was stressed out-told me flash has to stay in the crate unless you are right on him otherwise he gets into everything. Umm, yeah, he is a puppy lmao. He was mad that flash ate the cats food-I put the cat food up except when he is sleeping or crated. We have had him since thursday night and he hadn't figured out why it was working well until I wasn't here to help!

Flash is doing really good in the crate btw. I am sure it helps that he, along with mama and 4 siblings, slept in a crate all the time. The first night he didn't like being alone, woke me up almost every hour with his whining. The second night he whined for maybe 10 minutes and went to sleep. And yesterday he would go to sleep whenever he was in the crate.

So far potty training is working well too, take him out after eating, playing sleeping or drinking-or if it has been awhile. He goes out around 11 pm, then on hubby's lunch hour from work (around 2 am) and then again at 7 am when he gets home. Nice that it works out so well!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Patience and persistence is key to training a basset. Food doesn't hurt the effort either (except with Molly - the only basset on earth not motivated by food). We got our 1st basset 8 months ago (Molly) and our 2nd two months ago (Winston). We thought we were prepared, but bassets keep you on your toes. Mine are the model of stubbornness, but at the end of the day, you can't help but love them. Good luck and enjoy every second of being owned by this breed :)

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
except with Molly - the only basset on earth not motivated by food
FOOD-MOTIVATED
Any dog that is truly not food-motivated is, frankly, not breathing. Your dog must eat to survive and is, therefore, naturally motivated by food. Your dog may, however, have a very low-level of motivation. When trainers are presented with such a dog, it is usually caused by several factors, either alone or combined.

Free Feeding
The most common cause is that the dog is given free access to food throughout the day. Even if their owner fills the bowl two times a day, the dog takes hours to clean the bowl. The food is always available and so the dog decides when they want to eat. For these dogs, limiting each feeding session to no more than 20 minutes not only encourages your dog to clean their bowl

...Some dogs receive a steady stream of treats throughout the day for simple behaviors that they have been performing for years or simply for following the owner into the kitchen. With many of these dogs, the owner is forced to find new and unique treats because the previous treats were overused and have become as commonplace as dry kibble to the dog.

...The third reason a dog might not be food-motivated is stress. When a dog reaches a certain level of stress, fear or anxiety, they stop accepting food.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
LOL, thanks Mikey. I'm ok with Molly not being motivated by food. It's better for her girlish figure. She's really not a big eater, but is perfectly healthy. She is motivated by praise. A simple "good girl!" goes a long way with her training.

Winston, he'll eat anything he can get his gigantic puppy paws on.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Word! You said it Esther! Welcome to the forum you guys! It's been a life saver for us to share in the good and bad of the basset. It's true, they'll drive you crazy, but man oh man, when snuggle time comes, it's worth every headache.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
LOL, thanks Mikey. I'm ok with Molly not being motivated by food
FWIW very rare an I will never tell is my advice directed at who is asking it or the person goted, it is a jumping off point to address lurker and other who likely have a releated question.

In most case that I have seen is most often caused by stress. it appears to me under stress eating shuts down before other center. not say that is what is happening in molly's case

LOL, thanks Mikey. I'm ok with Molly not being motivated by food
Noiw that has me more concerned about her bassetude. Basset in general are very low on the bidability scale they rare do anything to please, so praise is often of limited value but as Molley clearly evey dog is different and you need to adust for that in training. and always keep in mind is thevalue of a reward is the value the dog places on it not what the human thinks it should be.

The Power of Social Interactions as Rewards

LIST OF REINFORCERS​

Please review the list of all the things your dog may view as a "true" reward. You may like to believe affection from you is a real turn on but that doesn't necessarily mean you dog agrees
and the same cn be said for food. Some of the most powerful reward can be activities. IE sitting at an open door can be strongly reinforced for most dogs by letting then then go out. etc. .
[URL="http://www.teachingdogobedience.com/2009/01/premacks-principle.html]Premack’s Principle[/URL]
I know a dog trainer who used her male dog's extreme desire to mark everything as reinforcement. She taught him to heel at perfect attention merely by waiting for him to perform desired behavior and then rewarding him with allowing him to scent mark. Voilà! Premack's Principle at work.[/url]

Whyen it comes to training there are nore options for rewards than the standard food, play, and praise

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey everyone, Thank you soo much for all the advice. We are moving on now, the daddy(boyfriend) has been accepted for 10 hours today. She has been a good girl and has gone outside every hour. She did all her business outside except for one poo inside.
She only woke up once the last couple of days, but she is still sleeping in bed (my mistake ;))
She is not quiet when we go the neighbours told us, so we are still not sure what to do. We do have one problem, the neighbours dog howls all the time and we hope Fientje isn't going to learn from that one to bark and howl when we are gone. I don't believe in cages so she is in the hallway with her bed and the cat for company.
Any more advice from basset hound and families old and new???????

Greets and licks from family and Fientje

·
Registered
150 Posts
Foto's are on now!!!!! Thanks for all the advice, sounds like you are all having the same fun as we are. I do have to say she is naughty when left alone with my boyfriend!!! She tries him out, with me she plays and sleeps mostly. When I go to work my boyfriend is home and yesterday she managed to pee several times in the house step in the pee and dig out a plant. I was laughing, my boyfriend wasn't ofcourse LOL
How are you new moms treating the howling when she is left alone for a little while? We are trying it minutes at a time, but she howles and yappes...
And also we are trying to do the potty training without a cage (I am against it, boyfriend is for it and I won;))
Yeah. We tend to have more accidents on the weekend. I'm pretty sure it's because daddy is home. I think he's watching her...and he's not. lol.
We're not using a crate either. I wanted to. We have one. But, she hated it so for the most part she's loose and with us.
The howling and the whining...It will get better. Just leave her for a few minutes. come back. leave again. The other day I left to get my daughter from school and heard NO howling! I looked in on her and she was laying down..quietly! Of course that's not an everyday thing. But it is getting better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey everyone, Thank you soo much for all the advice. We are moving on now, the daddy(boyfriend) has been accepted for 10 hours today. She has been a good girl and has gone outside every hour. She did all her business outside except for one poo inside.
She only woke up once the last couple of days, but she is still sleeping in bed (my mistake ;))
Gracie sleeps in bed with us. It awful, but it made it sooo much easier to take her out in the middle of the night. And she's very nice to cuddle with. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts