Basset Hounds Forum banner

José needs your prayers

6K views 35 replies 36 participants last post by  mgbrown66 
#1 ·
I went to visit José on my lunch hour. (I had posted about his illness on the Health & Genetics section last week when he got sick). José has cancer, I think she said was pancreatic, and it has spread up in his lungs. We took him home from the vet today. He was on IV fluids and meds for two days. I am faced with a very tough decision with almost no notice. I can't bear to see my sweet dog in pain and if he cannot eat that means that there is very little time to say goodbye.

Tonight I will spend time with him and will do everything I can for him to make him comfortable.

He is only 5, almost 6 (May). I haven't "lost it" yet, I'm at work now. I think tonight will be rough when it hits me. I leave for a business trip to the Philippines on Sunday. My heart tells me José won't be able to wait until I return, and I don't think it's fair. Guess I will see what happens tonight and tomorrow, then on to the tough decisions.

Please pray for him, he is such a gentle, loving soul.
Lisa

#8 ·
I am so sorry to hear this. Lily, Gibbs, and I are sending healing thoughts and plenty of drool your way. I know this is a terrible decision to be facing. I know it's tough but give Jose' all the love you can in the time you have left with him and try to keep your chin up.

~Heather

#9 ·
Oh, Lisa I'm so terribly sorry to hear this and we know how heartsick you are. We lost our Bubba a little over a year ago to cancer, and we had to make the decision you are facing. All I can say is in your heart you will know when it is time and that you will be sending Jose' to a place where he will be pain free and can romp with all the wonderful hounds that have gone before him. It's a terrible decision, but you will get through it knowing that you want the very best for Jose'. You are in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this.

#11 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about Jose. I have been in your situation and I know how difficult it is to have to be the one to make that decision. You'll be in my thoughts as you go through this, and just remember that after it happens, Jose will be waiting at the bridge for you, with plenty of great company. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

#12 ·
Lisa,

We are sending you the best of vibes and prayers from Emerald City. It is the hardest thing to think about and it was the hardest thing we ever did.

Hugs to you, please also take care of yourself.

lala and ernest

#13 ·
Having gone through this only two weeks ago, we know how heartbreaking it is. It's the worst feeling in the world. My heart goes out to you & Jose........our Daisy will meet him at the Bridge and show him to the buffet. Peace. :(

#16 ·
We are so sorry Lisa. Prayers and hugs coming your way from Saskatchewan. These are the difficult days that we must endure for the love and peace our pets give us with their lives. Take good care knowing that others have walked in your shoes and know how difficult this is. You will know when it is time.

Big hugs and prayers from Susan and Wilson.

#20 ·
I am so sorry to hear about Jose, Lisa. You and your family will be in our prayers. I don't know of any words to help you through this horrible time but do know you love Jose enough to put his needs first.

We're all sending drool for all of you.

Elvis, Georgia, Ginger, Maggie, Crissy & Dart

#24 ·
I was so hoping this was just an intestinal thing that would pass. My heart dropped when I read your post. It so reminds me of what I went through with Sadie last May/June. We knew something was wrong with her in May, and she was diagnosed with cancer in late May. She deteriorated so fast & I sent her to the bridge June 9th. I hardly had time to get used to the idea of her having cancer when I had to get used to the idea of her being gone. You are in my thoughts & prayers. I know how hard this is.
Amy

#26 ·
I'm so sorry to her about José. :( My thoughts are with you and your family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.