Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie is my one year old basset hound. We go on walks with my father and his two dogs (Sadie, 12yo golden retriever mix and Shadow, 1yo pitbull/lab mix) every evening. The girls like to briskly walk but wear down quickly. Sadie is older and she controls the distance of the walks, when she gets sore she lets us know its time to go home. Shadow is overweight and she controls the pace. Charlie is extremely energetic when we go for walks, he is always pulling like he wants to go faster. Last night I took Charlie and Shadow for a walk. At one point I started jogging and both of the dogs started running with me. We ran for about 100 meters before Shadow decided she didn't want to run anymore and started nipping at my shorts. Charlie seemed to love it! After we finished our walk and I took Shadow home, Charlie and I jogged home.

I just wanted to know your thoughts about jogging with a basset hound.

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
It must have looked funny when he was nipping at your shorts. Come to think of it, it must look funny seeing someone jog with a Basset Hound, but in a cute sort of way, lol. That be nice to get it on video, hehe.

-------------------------
dogshop.50webs.com

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
All things in moderation. :) You don't want to strenuously exercise him right after he eats, and you might want to keep a close eye on his water intake afterward, as bassets are prone to bloat. You'll want to build up his endurance gradually, and if he starts jogging with you regularly, you might consider feeding him a performance diet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts