Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just noticed that Jeffrey, our 5 month old, is favoring his left front paw (or leg?) a little. I thoroughly examined his paw (and found nothing) and felt all up and down his leg. He didn't make any noise of discomfort when I did that, and I didn't feel anything different than his other leg. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks.

- A worried mother and father

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
My husband and I just noticed that Jeffrey, our 5 month old, is favoring his left front paw (or leg?) a little. I thoroughly examined his paw (and found nothing) and felt all up and down his leg. He didn't make any noise of discomfort when I did that, and I didn't feel anything different than his other leg. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks.

- A worried mother and father[/b]

I take that when you felt up and down his leg you did not squeeze in the middle of the bone? You may have gotten a reaction then. A common condition especial for male basset hound at this age is
Panosteitis or Pano for short. It is a self limiting condition in that the dog will out grow it and be none worse for wear but the condtion is often very painfull and has a tendency to wander leg to leg. It typically first occurs 5-9 months in bassets and can last as long as 12-18 month off and on. It is one of common basset ailments that many vets are not that famialliar with so some time basset with pano are misdiagnosed with more serious orthopeadic conditions.

It is best to always have the dog checked by a vet. If the diagnose is a more serious orthopeadic condition is is best to get a second and even a third oppinion be a vet that specializes in orthodeadics and is familar with basset hound structure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts