Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Seeing as everyone is sooo helpful on here....i've decided to seek advice on another issue i'm experiencing with my Bassets!
It's not really major.....but just wondered if anyone else had this issue it will give me hope that my Bassets will one day love each other!
I have Barry who's nearly two!....he used to suffer from terrible seperation anxiety....and I always knew i'd get a little friend for him!
We enquired with his breeder & his mum& dad had, had another litter so we wen along & picked little Betty who is now 4months!
Barry loves other dogs & I thought he'd love a little playmate?....I think he does secretly but is just used to all the attention...he plays nice with her but only on his own terms when he wants to!....if she tries start playing he growls & warns her away!?....he does sound really nasty when he does this & people who dont know him i'm sure think he's evil...but he never bites her its just warnings!
She is very persistant though & really doesnt care & loves him to bits & will always snuggle with him even though he protests!
I'm just wondering if other people had these issues & you now have a happy ending you can share with me??...please!!
Barry is also very moody since Betty appeared & I feel awful as she was intended as company for him!
Thanks folks x

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I'm sorry I don't have any encouraging news for you, as we have the similar problem with our two boys. We adopted Chuck in Dec 2004. He was already a full grown 9 to 10 year old adult, even though we were originally told by the rescue place that he was 2-3 years old, however, one year later, we were told by a vet professor at Auburn University’s Vet School that Chuck's bone structure indicated that he was between 9-10 instead!!! Anyway, Chuck was still quite active back then, so we think he could use some company and a playmate. We got George, an 8 weeks pup in August 2006. George loves Chuck since day one, and would love to get Chuck to play, and snuggle up to Chuck whenever he can. When he's in trouble for doing something he shouldn't, he would run to Chuck as a rescue. However, Chuck never wants to have anything to do with George. He's never shown any aggressive behaviors towards him, his tactics is just ignoring George to the extent he could. Otherwise he would just whine and cry until one of us stops George. It’s been almost four years now, we have never seen take on George’s play invitations. And in fact, I believe Chuck has shown signs of depression since we’ve got George. Therefore, no happy ending for the story betwen our two boys.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
he plays nice with her but only on his own terms when he wants to!....if she tries start playing he growls & warns her away!?....he does sound really nasty when he does this & people who dont know him i'm sure think he's evil...but he never bites her its just warnings!

Hmmm ! don't see a problem see the following link and I think you will agree

He Just Wants To Say "Hi!"

[URL="http://rufflyspeaking.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/puppy-license-and-adult-behavior-stop-separating-play/"]Puppy license and adult behavior–STOP SEPARATING PLAY.[/URL]
New puppy arrives and is cute and wonderful. For a few days or weeks she toddles around and falls over adorably and snoozes everywhere and plays her funny little puppy games and everyone, including all the adult dogs in the house, smiles indulgently and allows her many liberties that they would never allow an adult dog.
This is normal and good; it’s how the pack bonds with and learns to protect the puppies that come into it.
But then at some point, say at twelve or sixteen weeks, even earlier for the quick maturers, the little soft fuzzy schnookums-wookums becomes a growing dog, and her little games start to involve using her teeth in a real and deliberate way. And instead of bumbling into the adult dogs’ heads and falling over, she’s lying in wait and then barreling over and jumping on their heads.
The adult dogs decide they’ve had enough, and they begin to punish her for this rude behavior. If she jumps on them they roar, they knock her with their mouths, they send her ki-yi-yi-ing into the next room. When she has play interactions with them they don’t hold back anymore; they pin her and knock her over and she yelps and rolls away.
The human says “Oh no! Poor Gladys! They’re being rough with her!” and they begin to supervise the play. Every time the adult dogs get “rough” they are stopped or disciplined. If they continue to “victimize” the puppy they are totally separated; she plays alone and they play alone.
THIS IS SUCH A BAD IDEA.
Puppies learn from adult dogs. A vital and absolutely incontrovertible role of a healthy adult dog is to teach the puppy how to be a good and polite dog. The adult teaches–yes, by physical punishment, though that punishment is not cruel–how to interact with other dogs, how to live in a pack, how to ask permission, how to back off, etc. If you stop that from happening, not only does the puppy grow up with SERIOUS issues that will hurt her chances of being a normal dog who can get along with other dogs, you build resentment between the two dogs. If the adult dog is never allowed to complete a lesson, he will try harder and sooner the next time. If he’s stopped again and again, pretty soon he will decide that the only way to deal with this is to remove the puppy from the picture entirely.

The History and Misconceptions of Dominance Theory

Young puppies have what's called "puppy license." Basically, that license to do most anything. Bitches are more tolerant of puppy license than males are.
The puppy license is revoked at approximately four months of age. At that time, the older middle-ranked dogs literally give the puppy hell -- psychologically torturing it until it offers all of the appropriate appeasement behaviors and takes its place at the bottom of the social hierarchy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
He's only trying to teach her the ropes and what is ok and what isn't. They will eventually grow to be close but let them work it out themselves as long as it is safe to do so. Our boy was not happy about us bringing our puppy home after he lost his older sister but he soon got used to her. At first he wouldn't play with her but would allow her to snuggle and sleep with him. Then he eventually broke down and played with her about two weeks to a month in. They are now inseperable. They love each other dearly. They are about 3 years apart in age. She is now 4 and he is 7.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your replies!!
Mikiesgirl i'm sorry to hear your Basset's still dont get on after a few years, its such a shame when you think you're doing them a favour by getting them a companion (i'm always told Basset's are better in numbers!)and you end up upsetting them & making them depressed!....its really upset me seeing Barry get more grumpy!.....he's like a grumpy old man at times & he's not even two yet!?...good luck with your Basset's hope it improves!
Mikey T.....thanks so much for the quotes tou've posted it's really reassured me!!
As I type they are both rolling around the floor playing enjoying each others company!....which is lovely to see...but I was just worried with Barrys mood swings & growling & snapping at her...shes so much smaller (evern though shes very confident pup & doesnt care!)
But thats maybe it!!.....Barry is teaching her & with her being very bolshy & confident she's taking alot out of him to teach!....I do realise watching them now that it looks as though he's teaching whens a good time to play & when hes had enough & she should back off!....although shes not always listening shes only 4months so hopefully she'll pay attention to him soon & they'll become great companions (fingers crossed!)
Thanks so much for the replies!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
(i'm always told Basset's are better in numbers!)
While there is general breed trends that support the idea that bassets are more social and require more social interaction than the average breed individual differences are huge.

Another thing most do not realise because of the whole "alpha male" myth with dogs is that in general in basset packs it is the females that controls things not males. This can be quite an adjustment for previously lone males to make. The general rule of thumb is that opposite sexs get along better with less problems., this is definitely the case with intact dogs which can become aggressive when the sex hormones rage but with nueter dogs this is no longer a factor and often times certain dogs much prefer the company of the same Sex. Toughy much preferred males than females he would play with males and ignored stayed out of the way of females. My females general play together but are more harassing toward the males. but the dynamics betwe
en any two dogs is unique and always a work in progress. Not much different that with humans.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah we've had some issues between our boy and some dogs but not others. In general he didn't get along with other males even though he is neutered but now he seems much more tolerant of other males. Our girl is the only intact dog in our household for now and is definately the dominant one but our boy has no problem putting her in her place if she is being too rough. Which is actually rather amazing as she outweighs him by over 10 pounds as he's a rescue and she is a fairly heavy boned show dog. They all get along differently so not every dog is meant to be in a multiple dog home, some are just as happy as only dogs. Just depends on the dog but it does sound like your two are getting along well now. Sounds very similar to our two when they first started out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts