Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody again!!! well, me and JD are doing fantastic. he's kinda housebroken. he doesn't pee or poop in the house if his doggy door is open. but lately, i've been trying to train him to hold it in and only go when there's a chance to. uhhh...sometimes he goes right in front of me, other times he actually waits until i open the doogy door. oh well, i love the guy still. his crying and whining are still a factor, but i think it's due to the fact that he just wants to be around people. me and all my friends are late 20's party people, so when somebody comes home at 2a after a nite of partying, he wants to come out of his crate, in my room, while i'm perfectly sleeping, and play. and he'll cry and whine and scrath at his crate until he's let out. JD refuses to be asleep while there's somebody else having a good time!!! what a good party dog!!!

anyways, apparently the crate i got for him is too short. i think it's 24" long and about 18" tall. he's about 8 months now and i was wondering how long will he get? most of the websites i found tell that he will be about 13" to 15" tall at the shoulders, but nothing to state how long he would be, at full grown. can any of you owners of older bassets let me know how long your little rascals are? i want to give JD a great sleeping place, that he's comfortable and cozy in. thanks for all your help!!

JD and joey

·
Registered
137 Posts
And here I was thinking you named your dog JD after John Deere tractors like I did. I have a JD too. Dog and tractor that is. I don't crate my bassets but I do have a crate. I think it's about 30 inches long.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i got a crate to start at 36 inches ..and it had a divider that i could move in or out to accomodate the space she needed while growing.
sadie is 7 months and is in the full 36 inches. its a little roomy but she has been good and hasnt eliminated in the extra space. hopefully, this crate will work when she is an adult.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
He's a photogenic little guy, isn't he? And he seems to know it... :D

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
The third picture needs to be in a print ad.! A handsome hound! yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
You ought to sent the last photo to the Jack Daniels company. You might have a winning promotional photo. JD is one handsome hound.

A

·
0 Posts
You sure have a handsome houndie! The crate thing is a hard question. Your hound should of started to slow down on growing if not completely done by now. My younger basset is in a crate only during the day though when we are out. But I have a large crate for her. I just felt bad having a small one, in this one she can walk around a little. It is probably the size of jmm's 36". When I was younger and my older basset was young. I used to go out and party late and I would always have to let her out to play for a while. She just loved people and wanted to be the center of attention. So I know what you are talking about with the night time.

Well good luck!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by BubbaLeroy:
You ought to sent the last photo to the Jack Daniels company.  You might have a winning promotional photo.  JD is one handsome hound.
Yeah, your JD is much cuter than the original Jack Daniels!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts