Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as discussed, we were looking to get a little sister for Jasmine, to keep her company while we're at work, and of course, to bring additional joy to the house. On Friday we brought home Cocoa, a lovely little chocolate Lab. At only seven weeks, she's still small enough to walk underneath Jasmine, which I find quite amusing. At rest, she's this adorable little thing

But more often then not, she's the pirana seen below

I feel a bad for my fluffy pup as her little sister does torment her a bit, but I do think they're getting on well over-all. However, for those of you who have brought a new puppy into the house which already had at least one dog, can you recommend anything help deter her nipping of Jasmine? Jasmine actually runs away from her at times, desperate to escape the little razor teeth. She's no longer allowed on the couch though (she'd recently started exhibiting aggression issues when we tried to get her off of it), so she has nowhere to escape from the puppy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's my experience that they will work it out between them. Unless there are some real aggression issues on Jasmine's part, it should be fine. They'll figure out their pecking order as the pup grows. Cute pup - Labs are great.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GOOD LUCK! is all i can offer you. Having just introduced a new basset puppy to my home, my 8 yr old dachshund Oscar was none too pleased. He didn't show agression, but when Murphy would chase and nip at him, Oscar would only take so much before he either growled or snapped back at him. Most of the time Oscar would run to places Murphy couldn't, like the couch, upstairs, etc.

Besides that, Oscar stopped eating, so I could see that the change was stressing him. Understandably so, since this was a one-dog household for so long.

So, i decided the best thing was for me and Murphy to move out. Which we did. We're very happy and he's much better off being the only dog in the house. He's not dog-agressive or anything, its just that he thinks every dog is a puppy that wants to play. And most cases, the opposite is true.

Many blessings and good wishes for you and your new furry bundle of joy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
:) What a cute new baby sister! I think everything should work out fine, but as we know, it may take some time for Jasmine to warm up! I don't know much about what you could do with the biting on Jasmine's legs, and I wish I could help out more... :( Best of luck, and make sure to keep us posted!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. They've now spent two days alone together, and they seem fine. I know Jasmine is a bit stressed, but I think it will just take some time. She has gone off her own food, but will happily eat Cocoa's and anything else we'll give her, so I wont worry about that. And no worries, any aggression she's shown has been directed towards us, she's never done anything to Cocoa beyond the occassional nip to remind her who the bigger dog is. When I take Cocoa to the vet on Friday for her round of vaccinations and microchipping, I'll see if the vet can recommend anything else for Jasmine. In the mean time I'll continue to give Jasmine extra cuddles, and spray Cocoa with the water bottle when I think she's driving her insane. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a darling! I am sure they will work it out and be best of friends. yvonne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts